MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I’m new to this forum but have owned a MINI before and also own a classic 1984 mini city so I’m quite the fan of these cars!

Just purchased a 2008 Mini clubman diesel as a ‘spares or repair’ project and was wondering everyone’s opinion on where I should start.
So..
Full service history and 12 months MOT
New clutch & flywheel
New turbo and all pipes within the last 10k Miles
Cars clean and lovely

So why is it spares or repairs???

Well....
When you start the car it’s very tappy but this does suddenly get better and it just sounds like a normal diesel, almost like oil isn’t reaching the top of the engine straight away
Very sooty black exhaust pipe and black smoke when you put your foot down
Once the engine has warmed up and you idle you get a low oil pressure warning light...

How it got an MOT last month I’ll never know but hey ho

So... my initial thoughts are the engines knackered, but I did drive it 200 miles yesterday and it run fine, just the oil warning light when I reached traffic or idled...

I was gonna remove the sump and check the oil pick up isn’t blocked as well as the vacuum pump.
Anyone had any similar problems/experiences.
I purchased the car with a budget of possibly needing to source and replace the engine, but would be great to fix this one

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
my question would be had a new turbo why,,,,, ie was it as most do when fail do diesel runaway ie eat it own oil and wont switch off untill it knocks it arse off,, if so way forward find low miles with reg number and hpi the car engine came out of to prove mileage replacement engine not worth messing with,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my question would be had a new turbo why,,,,, ie was it as most do when fail do diesel runaway ie eat it own oil and wont switch off untill it knocks it arse off,, if so way forward find low miles with reg number and hpi the car engine came out of to prove mileage replacement engine not worth messing with,
Thanks for the advice. The more hdi based forums I flick through it seems a replacement may be the way to go.
I don’t think the engine run away with itself because the invoice for the replacement turbo says
“Investigate noise on engine traced to turbo unit”

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
i've spent a lot of years buying cars with engine issues got a right nose for the BS these days where sellers try and cover up the truth within broken cars, ie they highlight the easy faults and hide the big ones or try to,, but still i get caught out from time to time, these days i only buy what i can do without if that makes sense,,
as for noise in engine bar traced to turbo, on a engine with a dpf filter ie needs replacing every 75k this when gets old over heats the turbo and first signs are noisy turbo, so you could still have some w=more work to do , ie either remove map it out or replace with new one,,also the ecu must me fault code free for regens to work on them, things like glow plug faults cause a lot of issues,, and also they are tiny thin ones and can snap off. hmm head off job then,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts