MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. been driving the Mini cooper D for a few weeks and all seemed well..
So tonight was a big test . Drive 150 miles from the Midlands to Southampton....
Set out about 7:15 got to the motorway... and entered lazy mode (Cruise control)
I'm never in a rush so.. 58mph..
Ahhh listening to Radio 2 the time seemed to pass quite well..
the MPG steadily showing an increase got up to 59.1. not bad for a 15 year old car.....
Everything seemed ok, nice and smooth, no noises or anything.
then at 105miles traveled, someone pulled out the Power Plug....
Or even the elastic band had snapped...
the car started to decelerate, Cruise control disengaged...
Scotty was calle d his response..."We canna get more power captain, the dylithium crystals are exhausted."

Clutch in, quick rev. seems to rev ok no noises..
Down a couple of gears, and I was able to feather the throttle to get back to a reasonable speed, but nothing more..
No acceleration, no real power....
any incline would mean a couple of down changes and if not done right struggle to maintain 45-50mph.....
Managed to coax Billy for 50 to where I was going..

Unloaded and decided easier to go to ye olde Kebab van for a late supper....
Well car started reved and pulled like nothing had happened.......

I have no diagnostics here but any ideas?

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
faulty turbo perhaps need scan it see if got under or over boost codes ,, if has very common for the vnt to wear and stick , stu on here i diagnosed his after a few others had tried to find the reason, it was a tiny stick when pushed the lever on turbo and would nit return smoothly , also found the bearing for the arm was worn , think turbo was no more than 20k on it and was genuine when he replaced it few years ago

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How interesting...
Firstly going from North to south must clearly be down hill
as running via cruise control same s[peed both dorectins produced 60mpg N to S
but 57 S to N covering 150miles....

Next...the snapping elastic band/Power plug pulled out.........
occurred "under load" going up long inclines.....
Cruise control cut and power was gone - suspect limp mode

Stop and restart all ok....
did it twice, but after about 50miles there were no steapish inclines.....

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
need to live data it and read scan codes if have any for over boost or under boost then turbo related and very common with faulty turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
need to live data it and read scan codes if have any for over boost or under boost then turbo related and very common with faulty turbo
Sounds like 'Limp Mode' (or 'Safe Mode'),. You need to do a diagnostic check for saved faults. Quite possibly EGR Valve, but more likely just DPF clogged, due to too many low-speed miles. Check the diagnostics first, if it says DPF, try getting it warm first, then take it for a longer (15 miles plus) high-speed run. Check your oil and water levels first though! You might get some smoke, so be prepared for that.
This is all at your own risk, I can only advise what is likely; other problem(s) could be involved that could be made worse by taking this action.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well back from my wasted trip to the New Forrest...... (long story)
but have to catch up on what I didn't do the weekend......
New EGR valve, checked after fitting and seemed to be opening and closing correctly.....
(Unofficially no DPF)
Was checked several times following the initial work and no fault codes....

When I have time I will plug it in and check the diagnostics....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thought I'd do an update.....
Mini seems to be running well.... MPG is improving....
Got 56.4 today.. i have however changed from the 18" wheels with elastic bands to some 16" with some tyres with air....

I still have the occasional non start and the fuel seems to have siphoned back to the tank or there is an air leak and if parked point up hill it will die within seconds of starting.....
T counter this if i rev it to 2-3000 for a few seconds it pumps enough fuel through to sort it out....
I have looked for an air leak but there is nothing obvious.....

I fond a threadon aPeugeot forum where people had simlar prolems, their solution seemed to be to fit a one way fuel valve in on of the lines preventing back siphoning.... After the service when teh fuel flter is changed if the problem persists I may opt for the valve...

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
thats a common improvement , anywhere its damp with fuel oil will mist likely be the leak those plastic pipes can crack and the unions the rubber seals cam go hard,, can buy new fuel lines complete from main dealer , 10 years plus rubber soaked in diesel tend to go hard and leak

1 - 10 of 10 Posts