MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This is the first time I've been pulled by Traffic Police - oh my god they are annoying. I was driving through Watford last night at about 11pm after going to thorpe park. They followed me around the ring road for a bit and then pulled me over near Bushey.

Basically their excuse was that I had my fog lights on - which I didn't. The stoopid copper mistook the sidelights as being fogs as I have some brighter white bulbs in there. Well I put him right on that by showing him what the front fog lights look like when on.

So then instead of saying OK i'm sorry you can go, he starts walking around the car. Here we go!! He said have you got any documents on you sir. I replied by saying yes I have my driving licence and insurance. He also took my tax disk. So he takes it all back to his, what must be a £40k Merc M class and confirms all my details. Nothing wrong with that, it just took like about 10 mins.

With nothing wrong with my insurance he comes back to the car, walks around it for a bit again. He carefully checked the tyres - nothing wrong there. Just had 2 replaced and 2 have got another 5000 miles left of them atleast. HA! I can see he's getting really frustrated that he can't find anything wrong. He asks to search the car. I said thats fine but I had so much stuff in the boot and the back so I was a bit like O K AAAA Y. Take it from me... don't say that if u don't want a horrible look. He empties all the bags in the boot, full of wet, smelly clothes from Tidal Wave. What the hell is he looking for I ask? Well I don't do drugs, there's no dead body in the boot and it's freezing cold. By this time about 30 mins had gone past.

Ok, he says. Now please would you provide me with a sample of breath as we have a campaign in this area at the moment to stop drunk drivers. I don't drink either so I said to him I don't drink and he breathalysed me, twice!

Then finally I was allowed to go. It was a horrible experience.

On the positive side, I got to keep the breathalyser tube which doubles up as a nice whistle.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

J

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Mate you don't seem to have a lot of luck do you :D

I can't see why they were so investigative with you :rolleyes: oh, well at least everything was ok..... lets hope they are as thorough with the drunken, drugged up drivers with no insurance that we hear about so often nowadays :p

·
Don Vito
17,160 Posts
:eek:

I would have told them where to go :mad:

Sorry to read this but if I was in your situation then they would have been told .....

stay cool and get some dry clothes :D

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
Whilst I understand that it can be frustrating, surely if they are randomly stopping people then they are more likely to catch the scum?

Personally, I would be happy to be stopped (at least for the first couple of times). Shows that there are still traffic cops around. Besides it could have just as easily been your car that was stopped with someone else driving, then you'd be glad the rozzers were as pro-active!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think its the manner and length of time he was stopped for thats the issue. It should be pretty obvious to a decent PC once hes seen licence etc that there is not a problem. he should move on and try someone else, not spen half an hour looking over a mint car with all its docs to hand.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand where your coming from randap but i've been pulled 6 or 7 times in the last 6 months (since i passed). none of the others were traffic police so they just checked my licence and insurance. i just think they want to have a look at my MINI. this one felt like he had something to prove. probably to his copper mate who stayed in the car. maybe he had a few quid on me having something dodgy!

J

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I'm afraid you are in that catagory that cops feel are the most risky area. You are a young lad under 25 with a really really nice car, they just think something may be up instead of young people being responsible and buying their own mint cars! Thats why young lads insurances are so high! I'm afraid! It doesn't happen to many girl friends of mine but to blokes I know, all the time!

I understand what your saying annoying but at least they are being slightly pro active!

·
Don Vito
17,160 Posts
HObzy said:
I think its the manner and length of time he was stopped for thats the issue. It should be pretty obvious to a decent PC once hes seen licence etc that there is not a problem. he should move on and try someone else, not spen half an hour looking over a mint car with all its docs to hand.
here here...

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Sorry to hear u have been pulled 6 or 7 times in 6 months :eek:
Just out of interest did they look to see if your Front windows are tinted-as you have the Darkened glass on the rears?
I wish the Police would pull over the people that DO drive with their front fogs on.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
I think that story sucks. Copper was out to get you, used up all his feeble brain power trying to do you. Was probably jealous. Not giving his wife a good time are you? :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Police across the pond

Hey Jason,

Sorry to hear about the brutal stop and search. If a 5-0 spends that much time at a traffic stop with us hes usually pulled out his latex disposable gloves and is searching in places that get very little sunlight. So what was a cop doing in a Mercedes M class? are these different from the normal bobby hat wearing guys?

I just got pulled over a little under a week ago and he wanted to search my car as well. I told him to basicly get lost in a polite enough manner as to not get hauled to county jail that instant. I'm not sure if its the same but we can refuse to let the officer look in the car and as long as there is no probable cause to do so, you can tell him to...sod off is it? If you look like your blitzed beyond all god however its a different story. Telling the cop to take a hike just doesn't have the impact as it usually does when your addressing an invisible object 3 feet to the right of him as you do it.

Anyway just wondering how you boys do it over on the island. Good luck in the future.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Might be worth finding out where we stand on refusing co-operation over here (not that I'm advocating it in the mean time! :D ).

Not sure what the law says here, but the pathetic attempts at finding something wrong when the thing that got you pulled in the first place ('foglights' on) failed. Any decent copper would let go at that point. Anyone would think they're on commision or something. :mad:

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
jeez mate you should have a reserved place in general discussion with the problems you have !!

sorry to hear that - its always nice when they havent got anything to do you for but also worrying that he did a search - i would have asked for documents or proof that he could do that.

either that or he is thinking of buying a mini and just wanted to see the luggage space lol ;)

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
he wouldve looked even more dodgy driving the 1 series he was gonna get ;)

anyhow jase...sorry to hear of it, but at least thier actually doing somthing and spot checks...but then again the length of the stop is just stupid.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This probably means nothing to anyone outside Birmingham, but I was followed by a Police panda car from Bearwood/Edgbaston all the way to Bartley Green one night around 10ish whilst I was in my old MINI One. That is nearly 4 miles. They were behind me the whole way to the end of my road. They must have clocked me and run a PNC check whilst they followed me, and then once they realised that the car was heading to the address of the registered keeper they must have thought 'that young lad probably owns the car, lucky sod' and left me alone. It was really disconcerting though, as I was watching them in my rear view mirror the entire time, and the journey home took me across 3 Police Station's areas so they must have been following me, rather than they happened to be going that way.

Martin

1 - 20 of 53 Posts