MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I started the job of changing the valve cover Gasket. All being well it would have taken me 30 Mins..... But OHHHH noooo... You cant get away with just a simple job.

As I un-plugged the PVC blowback pipe on the valve cover it came out in my hand with about 3" of pipe on the end of the clip. I then thought I would do a temporary fix and tape it back together and maybe cable tie some bicycle tubing around it until I got more time to fix it properly with some nice proper rubber piping. So as I was cutting back the mesh cover thats on the pipe another 4" piece comes out in my hand. WTAF :mad:

So now I am forced to remove the Intake manifold so I can access the other end of the pipe that has the clip on it so I can change the pipe into a nice rubber one. I loosen all the 5 nuts on the top of the manifold and it loosens but it will NOT come away from the engine block. There must be a bolt on the lower side of the manifold thats holding it ill in place. And the area is so Effin tight I can't see where the bolt is.

Can someone PLease before I set my car on fire tell me where the bolt or nut is or Clip that is holding the manifold in place on the lower side. I have tried with a ladies makeup mirror I have jacked the car up and climbed under it I have looked in via the wheel arches. I can't FIND it... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

· Registered
1,302 Posts

· Registered
13,582 Posts
Today I started the job of changing the valve cover Gasket. All being well it would have taken me 30 Mins..... But OHHHH noooo... You cant get away with just a simple job.

As I un-plugged the PVC blowback pipe on the valve cover it came out in my hand with about 3" of pipe on the end of the clip. I then thought I would do a temporary fix and tape it back together and maybe cable tie some bicycle tubing around it until I got more time to fix it properly with some nice proper rubber piping. So as I was cutting back the mesh cover thats on the pipe another 4" piece comes out in my hand. WTAF :mad:

So now I am forced to remove the Intake manifold so I can access the other end of the pipe that has the clip on it so I can change the pipe into a nice rubber one. I loosen all the 5 nuts on the top of the manifold and it loosens but it will NOT come away from the engine block. There must be a bolt on the lower side of the manifold thats holding it ill in place. And the area is so Effin tight I can't see where the bolt is.

Can someone PLease before I set my car on fire tell me where the bolt or nut is or Clip that is holding the manifold in place on the lower side. I have tried with a ladies makeup mirror I have jacked the car up and climbed under it I have looked in via the wheel arches. I can't FIND it... :mad::mad::mad::mad:
inlet manifold has 6 x 13mm nuts access from top will need long 13mm socket and extension
bar, under the inlet manifold and its a pain in arse place there is a 10mm bolt access from under the car or possible to remove drivers wheel and stick hand in above the steering rack if that makes sense, i use use seafoam spray and a rag to clean out carbon on the inlet ports in works well and is cheap ie hour of your time and £15 for can on spray that will do 20 cars,
also that broken breather pipe is very common to snap there is a updated solid one from bmw/min £30 ish , trouble with rubber pipe is it will suck in when neg vacuum on and off throttle

· Registered
193 Posts
That 10mm bolt is a bit of a pain. I got right under the car and got it with an extension on an extension.
Also, someone had 'repaired' the breather pipe on mine with a socket stuck in place with silicone.
Obviously this all came apart when doing the timing chain job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.