MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have contacted MINI customer services a couple of times and always got a prompt and useful response. I enquired about the pulling to the left and got the following response.

"There have been reports in the press that have been exagerated about the MINI pulling to the left. The exact problem is a slight drifting to the left when the driver takes his hands off the steering wheel, and this is caused by the camber on the roads in the UK. Germany are currently
looking at producing a part to compensate for UK camber to stop the drifting"

I then asked about when the new fix / part might be available.

"Unfortunately as the part is still in production we are not aware of when the part will be available in the UK, we are hoping it will be early on in the new year"

So MINI are acknowledging the problem and trying to sort it out asap. Hopefully this will put a few minds at rest. Lets hope the part arrives sooner rather than later.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Thanks for that. This sounds like interesting news. Can we put a ban on talking about the left-drift-thing on here until this "fix" has appeared and been fitted then?

Please! ;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
R1 said:
Thanks for that. This sounds like interesting news. Can we put a ban on talking about the left-drift-thing on here until this "fix" has appeared and been fitted then?

Please! ;)
I second that R1!..:) Looks like BMW will be giving us all a late Christmas present and a much needed rest from this long running saga..:):)

Incidentally, as someone who's had their drift 'fixed' with no discernable difference - I did notice today that I only need to rest my right hand very very very lightly on the crossbar (or whatever you call it) to make it go straight..

Just thought I'd share that with the group..;)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Silver and Black said:
I have contacted MINI customer services a couple of times and always got a prompt and useful response.
I have written to MINI customer services twice and have yet to get a responce. First time they made some excuse that the MINI customer services manager was away so give them till December the 10th to give a responce...but nothing. I wrote to them again on December the 14th and still nothing:(

I am not impressed:mad:

But I agree on giving the ('Pulling left') subject a rest; it is boring really and there is not much else to say on the matter; for the moment anyway. So you have my vote.

LMB :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pulling Left

I'm not sure that resting the "pulling left" subject is an overly good idea. Yes, it's a problem, and yes, it's beginning to irritate me, but any news / developments that users may have has always got to be welcome?

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
No. What I meant was can we stop "My-car-pulls-to-the-left-does-anyone-elses-because-I-can't-go-on-if-this-keeps-happening-and-I-am-going-to-sue-BMW-and-my-dealer-says-that-it-is-normal-and-I've-had-it-on-a-KDS-machine-with-no-change-and-it's-making-my-right-index-finger-sore-trying-to-hold-it-straight-on-the-road!" sort of post. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
My-car-pulls-to-the-left-does-anyone-elses-because-I-can't-go-on-if-this-keeps-happening-and-I-am-going-to-sue-BMW-and-my-dealer-says-that-it-is-normal-and-I've-had-it-on-a-KDS-machine-with-no-change-and-it's-making-my-right-index-finger-sore-trying-to-hold-it-straight-on-the-road!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The response from the factory that Silver and Black got is a bit bothersome. They blamed the UK road camber for it because you blokes drive on the left. Now, I've never been in the UK, but I have watched "Inspector Morse" and your roads don't appear to have any more camber than those in the States. There is a huge difference between camber drift and steering pull. Don't forget that Apial drove to the right side of the road and let steering wheel go. The car pulled left, over the camber and toward the left curb. Other MINI owners have reported the same thing. If it can go against the camber, then it is definitely a pull related to a chassis defect.

If you have to exert pressure on the steering wheel to keep the car straight, then there is a problem and they should admit it. The camber drift on my 240Z (same weight and wheelbase as the MINI) is so slight on most roads that I can let the wheel go and it tracks straight. I don't have to hold the wheel in a death grip. I don't want to hear the excuse that "all cars do it." They don't, providing the alignment is correct. C'mon BMW. Admit there is a problem and fix it!

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
mr.bill said:
They blamed the UK road camber for it because you blokes drive on the left. Now, I've never been in the UK, but I have watched "Inspector Morse" and your roads don't appear to have any more camber than those in the States.
Bloody hell the bloke can tell the exact camber of UK roads by watching Inspector Morse on TV ????!!!!

The mans a God !!!! :confused:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Silver and Black said:
"There have been reports in the press that have been exagerated about the MINI pulling to the left. The exact problem is a slight drifting to the left when the driver takes his hands off the steering wheel, and this is caused by the camber on the roads in the UK. Germany are currently
looking at producing a part to compensate for UK camber to stop the drifting"

R1,

Using the camber on the road as an excuse is a load of c**p!!

It might accentuate the problem, but there is no way (not on the car I drove anyway), that the 'pull' was due to the camber on the road.

At least they replied to 'Silver and Black' regardless of their lame excuse.

LMB :D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
R1 said:

Please! ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
If any one wants to post on steering problems then thats fine by me. Just make sure that it is in the relevant subject area, that's all.

Posting on this Forum is very helpful to suffering owners. Don't suffer in silence.

·
Astronaut
572 Posts
R1 said:

Please! ;)
Nobody forces you to read these posts R1!

What is your point? This is a discussion board so we are here to talk. The titles of these posts is pretty much relevant so if you're not interested don't read them.

This pull to left is an important fault and I hope people keep posting their experiences.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Picked our MINI up today from the dealer ( in for the pull left fix and various other things ). The good news is that the pull left has gone. It could only now be described as a very gentle drift, if that.

Without our MINI for almost 2 weeks, and had a 5 series, 3 series and a Z3 as courtesy cars in that time. Drove the MINI for around 5 minutes and could not believe it. I actually would not swap this for any of the courtesy cars- IT is superb.

:) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Don't stop posting

In response to a lot of posts in this thread. Although I have to agree the subject is now officially boring, it's important to me at least that the subject continues to get an airing from those people that have the problem.
These thread subjects will dissapear of their own accord when BMW have fixed the problem.

In the meantime as someone who has an "S" on order I have as much interest as those that already drive their cars...

cheers

·
Registered
906 Posts
Drifting or pulling?

Now that I have the new suspension fitted I am able to report that the pull is now gone, but the drift is still stronger to the left than to the right. If there is a new fix available in the Spring then count me in. Until then I can put up with it. I'll just have to increase my medication.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Drifting or pulling?

Apial said:
Now that I have the new suspension fitted I am able to report that the pull is now gone, but the drift is still stronger to the left than to the right. If there is a new fix available in the Spring then count me in. Until then I can put up with it. I'll just have to increase my medication.
Thats good news is it not.......but you don't sound too convinced to me.

I wish some official feedback could be gleaned from BMW AG. Paul Mullett has asked them, but I have seen nothing posted yet.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts