MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the weekend My MINI had a puncture.
The tyre pressure indicator did not come on which was a little worrying.

I took it to a garage, which spent a good 15 mins taking the tyre off, they were being very careful not to damage the sensor. When they did manage to get the tyre off, they were amazed to find NO sensor.

That’s why my pressure indicator did not work.

When the MINI was new the tyre pressure indicator kept going off. I took the car back to BMW. They seemed to fix the problem.

Now I am thinking all they did was to remove the sensor.

I will be having words :mad:

·
Registered
451 Posts
no air pressure sensor on MINI

All of tire pressure systems up till now, have had pressure sensors mounted inside the tire on the rim to transmit a low pressure signal to the dashboard panel. MINI is the first to eliminate the separate pressure sensors, and instead uses the existing ABS sensors mounted above the wheel hubs, to detect a revolutions difference in the four wheels. This certainly saves weight and cost, but I suspect is not as accurate as the pressure sensor systems.
In short, MINI does not have sensors mounted on the wheels.

The ABS sensors are probably OK, or you would have also seen a brake failure light on the display. There is a deactivation switch for the tire monitor located in the floor, near the handbrake. Could it have been switched off inadvertently or possibly defective?

I think there is also a need to calibrate the system, whenever tires are filled up, to maintain accuracy. I don't own a MINI so I don't know what that involves. I'm sure someone else here will know. Good Luck. Does your manual cover this subject in any detail?

·
Registered
451 Posts
"Knowledge is power." Francis Bacon

I would like to know how you reset (calibrate) the tire pressure monitor once a low tire is aired to the proper PSI.
Or is it a self-calibrating system?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I guess it's time to get my feet wet. I've been checking the forum since early last year but this is my first entry. My deposit was taken by Baron BMW in Kansas City last April. Not sure the exact number but toward the top of the list for a MINI Cooper. Hoping to do a demo drive the end of March and order early April.

Anyway enough of that.

I made the trip to Detroit for the auto show to see an actual MINI. Great show with 8 MINI Cooper and "S" cars to see, feel and sit in.

One of the questions I asked the MINI people was about fitting aftermarket wheel/tire combinations and still retain the tire monitor system. I was informed that the monitor system checked tire rotation RPM (no individual sensors) and aftermarket wheel/tires would not be a problem. If my memory serves me correctly there's a reset button located just behind the emergency brake lever. This button re-calibrates everything back to a neutral position anytime a tire is worked on.

Hope this is helpful, and correct!!??

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
ELISEBOY said:
well there is something new i have learnt today~!!
Want to learn some more? :) Autocar magazine had this interesting bit of info about the MINI's tire monitoring system:

"The MINI’s tyre pressure warning system, part of its standard equipment, uses data from the ABS wheel sensors to monitor the rolling radius of all four tyres and detect any significant deflation, warning the driver if any tyre’s pressure drops below 70% of normal. But there’s a curiosity of the MINI design. Although the system identifies which tyre has lost pressure, the car doesn’t pass this information to the driver, who is simply warned that one of the tyres is under inflated.”

Did they do that to keep from having too many warning lights on the dash?

Oh, and welcome to MINI2, TBOB! :)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Re: "Knowledge is power." Francis Bacon

karmuze said:
I would like to know how you reset (calibrate) the tire pressure monitor once a low tire is aired to the proper PSI.
Or is it a self-calibrating system?
The tyre monitors are re-calibrated by pressing the switch that is located near the handbrake. This is not a de-activation switch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
TBOB said:
One of the questions I asked the MINI people was about fitting aftermarket wheel/tire combinations and still retain the tire monitor system. I was informed that the monitor system checked tire rotation RPM (no individual sensors) and aftermarket wheel/tires would not be a problem. If my memory serves me correctly there's a reset button located just behind the emergency brake lever. This button re-calibrates everything back to a neutral position anytime a tire is worked on.

Hope this is helpful, and correct!!??
your memory is excellent! :)That's right. it's stated in the manual that the indicator has to be reset everytime the tyres are filled up or changed and the manual explains how it's done. the button is just below the handbrake lever

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Just out of interest, after my "sedate" test drive, the tyre pressure warning light came on. My dealer said that as this was monitored by the ABS, sometimes after you've thrashed it, or hit a big bump, the light comes on. After a few minutes when the system decides that it's not a problem it recalibrates and turns the warning light off. Which is exactly what happened......:) I was impressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts