MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if others out there have the same problem that I do. On my driver side fender from behind the light housing to the edge of the bonnet my paint seems to be really blotchy . It is really evident when out in the sun. I have yet to see it on other parts of the car. The car is only a couple of weeks old and it appears to be a manufacturing issue. I think that I read somewhere that it is called mottle? Is this normal with the pure silver cars or is it something that the dealer should fix? I had a similar colored audi A4 before this and there were no issues like this. Any feedback would be appreciated. :silver:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have an June '02 built MCS with the mottling issue...I cannot believe that two years later the same problem exists :mad: ...try the search function, because there are numerous threads on this issue and good luck...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I did nothing about it...I knew that the solution was either a re-spray or a new MINI, and after waiting for 377 days from deposit until delivery, I decided that if I can't see it from the drivers seat, the hell with it! It doesn't affect the performance. I also live 80 miles from the dealer...I might mention it on my next visit, now that I'm getting close to warranty's end.

I would talk to your dealer if it bothers you alot...no one else sees the problem on mine but me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to only be on the bonnet. I'm wondering if they will just replace or respray it? I do have to take it in because they swapped out a wheel that was scratched when I bought the car. I noticed later they put a wheel with an all season tire on the car. Then when they replaced the all season wheel I just noticed that they put a resprayed/repaired wheel, and a bad job too, back on the car. So I have to take care of the wheel thing and maybe I'll see what they'll do about the bonnet. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the paint. I know you must be frustrated.

Mottling is due to a factor known as "lay down" -- it's the orientation of the metalflake particles in the paint film. A mottled area is where the flakes are not oriented in a uniform fashion with the rest of the panel.

Let me just say, as one who has restored and painted cars for almost twenty years, silver is one of the toughest colors to spray (exceeded only by candy colors over metallics) and matching that silver EXACTLY is going to be very challenging. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, a skilled professional painter can do it, but it'll be challenging. Even if they just get close it's likely that'll be better than mottled panel. Just be aware that there's a chance the paint may not match exactly, perfectly with the surrounding sections.

Here's why: The shade of a metalflake paint is dependant on several things: spray pattern, temperature, paint viscosity/reducing agent used, distance of the spray gun to surface (which can be changed as a matter of technique to acheive the results you want -- closer usually = darker), flash off ("drying time") between coats. Oh, and speaking of drying, if the car is air cured or force dried under UV lights, that will affect the shade, too. Oh, and the aluminum used in silverflake tends to oxidize with time, darkening the paint just a bit which further explains why factory "touch-up" paint may not perfectly match the paint on a years-old car.

So even if your painter had the exact same paint, from the very same batch as what was used to spray your car at the factory, without very careful attention he could produce a slightly different "color" than what's on the car through the abovementioned factors. There are LOTS of variables in painting a panel and every one changes the dynamics in the spray booth.

So it looks like you have a decision to make -- my advice is, if the mottling is minor (e.g. you only see it in very select circumstances, rarely) then stick with the factory paint. However, if the mottling is really bothering you and you can get BMW to consider it a defect and pay for it, and you're willing to accept the very slight risk of a slightly different appearance of the panel, then consider respraying.

And yes, they should replace the panel. Painting over top of the factory finish would result in a film that is much too thick and would eventually crack/peel because it cannot expand and contract with weather and temperature changes.

Cheers,
Jon

·
big MINI fan!
12 Posts
Hi,

I have a PS MC 03' Build. I read about the same problem before picking up my car and got me worried. I spoke to the dealer about my concerns about the "blotchy" paint and they assured me that I would not have a problem. I told them at that time that if I was not satisified with the paint that I would reject the vehicle.
They checked some PC cars they had in stock and could not find a problem, but also checked mine as it arrived.
Luckly for me, there was no issue with my car, or if there is I have not found it yet and I have had it over a year now!!

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
minirich19
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing