MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input here! Has anyone had an automatic starter put into their mini? I live in a cold climate (Alaska) with no garage and would love to have my car thawed out before I get into it. Have also thought about getting a portable garage. Can anyone recommend one of those or which company they bought it from?? Thanks. :)

·
PhilSporty
132 Posts
Miss Brit said:
Need some input here! Has anyone had an automatic starter put into their mini? I live in a cold climate (Alaska) with no garage and would love to have my car thawed out before I get into it. Have also thought about getting a portable garage. Can anyone recommend one of those or which company they bought it from?? Thanks. :)
I am not sure about an automatic starter, it would be illegal to have the engine running with no one inside! However there are many pre heater options available, it has a timer that switches on a heater (just like your electric kettle) that has been installed in to the engine cooling system, of course it will need mains electricity to power it. I am sure if you go along to your nearest car accessory shop or internet you will find what you are looking for.
Keep warm
Phil

·
" Wooooosahhh! "
46 Posts
I bought a Clifford Matrix RSX alarm which comes with the auto ignition feature on the key fob. total set for the alarm cost me near 300 dollars. It works great! I'm a student right now and usually I only have 5 minutes to cram down breakfast, so it's quite nifty when I'm eating and just start the engine, then when I'm finished I can bolt out the door :D

·
PhilSporty
132 Posts
n0zaaa said:
I bought a Clifford Matrix RSX alarm which comes with the auto ignition feature on the key fob. total set for the alarm cost me near 300 dollars. It works great! I'm a student right now and usually I only have 5 minutes to cram down breakfast, so it's quite nifty when I'm eating and just start the engine, then when I'm finished I can bolt out the door :D
It does sound great to be able to start your cold engine by remote and let it idle/warm up for you. However allowing a cold engine to idle will reduces the life of the engine, engines like to be started and driven immediately, especially from extremely cold starts. You may have noticed that the engine RPM is high when cold, this is due to extra fuel needed to allow the engine to run, this extra fuel washes the oil off the cylinder bores and hence increase wear.

Cheers

·
MINI2 Regular
128 Posts
Miss Brit said:
I am very interested in doing this too. I have seen a few web sites and they seem quite cheap.....

http://www.extremeautoaccessories.co.uk/products.php?section=1225
http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarms/falcon/remote_starter.htm

Does anybody know if the standard alarm system on the MCS would have an auxillary outlet?

·
Registered
289 Posts
phil portlock said:
It does sound great to be able to start your cold engine by remote and let it idle/warm up for you. However allowing a cold engine to idle will reduces the life of the engine, engines like to be started and driven immediately, especially from extremely cold starts. You may have noticed that the engine RPM is high when cold, this is due to extra fuel needed to allow the engine to run, this extra fuel washes the oil off the cylinder bores and hence increase wear.

Cheers
I would have thought that driving the engine immeadiately would have been one of the worst things you could do to an engine. When an engine is turned off, oil drains down into the sump, and needs about 45 seconds to get pumped back up to the cams after startup. Otherwise the cams will score from lack fo lubrication - I've seen this effect on most motorcycles I've worked on, I *presume* it's the same on MINIs.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
A camshaft running without lubricant will fry itself in a whole lot less than 45 seconds. But 30- 45 seconds would be about the right time of idling before driving off GENTLY.

Best thing for cold climate is an electric heater which you install into the block or the cooling system of the car, it has a plug which you plug into your house. Presto, nice and warm car immediately.
Fancy european cars (where it is illegal to idle without anyone in the car) have electric heaters that crank up remotely and are battery powered. This might be OK for Paris but I doubt it would work in Alaska..........you'd wind up with a warm car with a dead battery :(

·
MINI2 Regular
128 Posts
obehave said:
It's illegal to idle an unoccupied car in V and very well may be in AK as well. You need to check.
Will you get caught? Who knows.
Wheres V and wheres AK?

I'm pretty sure its not illegal to run a car without being in it in England. Wasnt in the highway code when i learnt to drive anyway. Plus i have a driveway where my car would tick over.

·
What's this red line for?
324 Posts
remote start

I looked into remote start when I lived in Utah. If I remember correctly, it is available only for automatics NOT manual Transmissions. It may be a state or Federal regulation. Most auto start companies should be aware of this.

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
minEman said:
Wheres VA and wheres AK?

I'm pretty sure its not illegal to run a car without being in it in England. Wasnt in the highway code when i learnt to drive anyway. Plus i have a driveway where my car would tick over.
Typo now corrected.

That would be Virginia and Alaska...USA.
Here in VA it's illegal even in your own driveway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.