MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Being normal is not fun!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm a dis-located Englishman, living in Australia. Anyway, enough on the life story :D.

As you may or not know, us Australian Mini'ers get quite shafted when it comes to the standard gagues. The central speedo that we all know and love, is *GONE* - only to be replaced with a monster tacho. The speedo takes the place of the tacho on the steering column.

This isn't what I like to call cricket, to be perfectly honest. I would much, much prefer the "proper" look, of having the central speedo (both with Miles P/Hr, and Km's P/Hr).

So, I pose the question to you, my brothers (and sisters). Do you know anywhere that wrecks new Mini's, that would sell the parts (large speedo with mph & kmph, and small tacho) that I require - preferably cheaply. If they can only ship within the UK / Scotland that is fine, as I have family living throughout.

*heres hoping*

Cheers guys,

Kevin

·
can i go home yet
2,568 Posts
isnt it just a question of finding the UK part numbers out from a MINI dealer and doing it that way?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Who's to say they just straight swap? I'd be wiling to bet it's not that easy...

Whilst I'm here - Why are the rev counters moved in Oz? Personally, I think it's quite cool, but then I specced Navigation to get rid of the centre speedo! :D

·
Being normal is not fun!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick, the dealers over here don't want to order the parts - for the reason I'll list in the next response

Steve, they're moved due to the stupid Australian Design Regulations stating that a car must have a column mounted speedo, and that it can't be centrally mounted. And yes, its just a plug-in plug-out job, really easy to do apparantly.

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,468 Posts
you will have to access the computer
plus the km is saved in the computer and the speedo.
good luck a Brisbane member has done it and it's a heap of work

·
can i go home yet
2,568 Posts
my point was that if you have friends in the UK could order it from a UK dealer and send it over

am i still missing the point?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts