MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

first of all I´d like to apologise for any grammar and spelling errors I might make as I am not a native English speaker and secondly I also apologise if the answer to my question has already been provided to the MINI2 group. I read so many messages about the new JCW kits that I am now completey confused about what is available.

If I am correct there is a new JCW intake/airfilter (sorry, I am not sure about the correct English term for it). It can be ordered with BMW for a standard, unmodded MCS for a price of 450 Euros. Correct?

Question: has anyone already installed this new intake/airfilter on an unmodded facelift MCS? With what results?

I understand from the posts on this board that there a quite a few around here that have upgraded a JCW-kit with it but I wonder in which way I will have an advantage as an owner of a new MCS without any additional mods to it? I read that this new intake/airfilter should provide some additional 5bhp and an "improved" sound but what does that really mean?

How will I notice the increase from 170bhp to 175bhp? I don´t expect Vmax to increase but will I notice a difference in acceleration or something like that? And what does "improved sound" mean? Louder?

Again, sorry for possibly double-posting these questions. But I really tried hard to find the answers before.

Cheers

CCLSC

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Dear CCLSC,
Have you thought about coming to England and teaching our 'youth' to speak and write English to your excellent standards? You could save this country from producing barely literate idiots..... :eek: :D :D :D

Not heard of anyone yet converting a standard car, sorry.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Tony,

much appreciated!

Well, you English people are always so polite. Maybe that´s why I always enjoy my visits to your country. Or is it my love for English football? Or your lovely, tasty beer? :D

CCLSC

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
CCLSC said:
Cheers Tony,

much appreciated!

Well, you English people are always so polite. Maybe that´s why I always enjoy my visits to your country. Or is it my love for English football? Or your lovely, tasty beer? :D

CCLSC

Your own beers not to bad mate.... although German football is a bit poor at the moment... :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,

As there don´t seem to be too many MINI owners here who already have upgraded their stock MCS with the new JCW airfilter I wonder if there are at least some people on this board who actually plan to install the new JCW airfilter? Or are there good reasons why we shouldn´t upgrade an unmodded MCS with it?

I am tempted but wouldn´t want to spend almost 500 Euros if it does not make a noticeable difference to your driving experience.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

CCLSC

·
Registered
32 Posts
CCLSC I'm glad you asked, as i too am also considering the air intake, I havent seen any posts from non modded MCS either.

any one got one?

help us please :)

also and sorry CCLSC for asking another question on your post, has anyone seen or heard anything about the Gruppe M air intake, its costs a small fortune!! ??

·
265 Posts
CCLSC said:
first of all I´d like to apologise for any grammar and spelling errors I might make as I am not a native English speaker
CCLSC - I don't think you have to apologize for your grammar at all. Just take a quick look at some of the posts around here and you'll soon get my drift :)

I plan to install the new JCW airbox to my modified MCS which runs an AmD Stage one kit. Presently I have installed a modified drop in UNIFILTER (panel filter) which I feel provides slightly better response over the OEM filter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am also interested in this for the standard car, there must be some people out there with info....

...anything, definite price, ease of installation, whats included for the cost,gains, noise level etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I "ordered" one from my dealer, the quoted price is $450 USD, no ETA yet, very eager to hear from anyone that installed it already.

I am planning to do the installation myself, I hope...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sebis, seems you are going to be the first to have it. Having said that: I ordered mine today, too. :D

CCLSC

·
"Big Munch"
90 Posts
Let us know how easy it is or isn't to install.... Contemplating, but 450 $ sounds steep :p

·
Registered
700 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will! :rolleyes: ) about the new JCW air filter, but it only improves performance at 4,500 RPM and higher.

It's effectiveness for a street-driven car (i.e., non-racing/autocrossing, etc.) would not be so great. How may folks drive around at 4,500 RPM all the time?

So, IMHO, 500 Euro for 5 HP that you won't use often seems kind of kooky, no?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vagt6 said:
How may folks drive around at 4,500 RPM all the time?
I guess you will be (or probably won´t be) surprised how many people will now yell: ME!!

And yes, I drive above 4,500 RPM quite regularly, not to say every day as I use the German motorway to get to my office and despite the early morning traffic 4,500 RPM is everyday routine. Today, I even drove it up to the limiter (above 7k) as some Audi A8 wanted to chase me down the motorway. Hmm, yes, I know...... stupid. But I loved it!

Have a great w/end everyone.

CCLSC

·
Registered
80 Posts
sebis said:
I "ordered" one from my dealer, the quoted price is $450 USD, no ETA yet, very eager to hear from anyone that installed it already.

I am planning to do the installation myself, I hope...
Does the $450 include the bigger injectors or is it just the filter by itself with no installation?

·
luckyMCS
63 Posts
AUSMINI said:
Does the $450 include the bigger injectors or is it just the filter by itself with no installation?
$450(part # 13.72.0.391.513)(450EUR here :mad: )do not include the bigger injectors,you are right it is just the filter without inst. charge. Kit which part # mentioned above(11.12.0.395.131)includes injectors and costs 663EUR+VAT without inst.(this is for JCW moded MCS)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any news on this, I am still waiting for the Intake here in Texas. Anybody having just the Intake installed on a stock Cooper S?

·
Registered
48 Posts
airfilter on stock mcs

sebis said:
Any news on this, I am still waiting for the Intake here in Texas. Anybody having just the Intake installed on a stock Cooper S?
I just replaced my Rogue CAI on my works with the new upgrade (injectors, ECU and all) and am pleased with the result. For any of you running stock MCS I would definately recommend a good aftermarket CAI (mine is available on the cheap if you're intested) as its a cheap and noticeable in performance and in sound improvement. My 2 cents is that for pure power, the Rogue, BMP or other CAI alternatives, which cost half the JCW airbox, will get you roughly same power and in some cases more aural pleasure (as in SOUND). My first mod was Rogue CAI through which the SC screamed with pleasure throughout RPM's. New JCW is enclosed, probably w/ improved positive pressure at some rates of speed and has a much more subdued sound quality....even at 4500rpm when flap opens to induct pressurized cowl air by windscreen. Hope this helps or at least provides food for thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts