MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hmmmmm
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my Mini since I bought it new on 1st March. Some of the details can be found on earlier threads I have posted but my car seems to spend more time in the dealers than I do driving it.

My main gripe at the moment is that do BMW/Mini actually *look* at the work that has been carried out before they tell you the car is ready. At least 4 times now we've had to send it back as the work done was poor - mainly to fitting of viper stripes or respraying of bonnet scoop. If we can spot the fault, e.g. a black mark in the yellow paint of the bonnet scoop, then why can't they?

The car was in today (again) to have the bonnet scoop resprayed and this time it came back with two marks on it when it only went in with one! White marks on the right hand side of the scoop in the paint and a rough patch on the underside of the front lip.

I've got a letter written now ready to send to BMW Customer Services - this is waiting on the outcome of tomorrow as I want to make sure the latest episode in the saga is finished before I sent the letter detailing every problem I've had so far.

I wouldn't expect these problems and lack of quality from any manufacturer but when you spend just under £24k on a Mini (FFS! excuse my language) then it's taking the p*ss when they can't even spot things in the quality (or lack of) in their work.

I love the car, don't get me wrong, but I have a really bad taste in my mouth from experiences with BMW/Mini and having to repeatedly keep taking it back to get them to rectify their own work.

:angry::angry::angry: :aargh::aargh::aargh:

There....I feel better now!

Edit: 26 June - just picked up the car again from another attempted respray of the bonnet scoop and they've cocked it up again! There's a black, rough, mark in the paint where something has touched it as it was drying just at the front of the underside edge of the scoop. Hopeless.... We spoke with the Service Manager and now the car is booked in for 7th July and they will keep it until it is right. Letter definitely going in the post to Customer Services HQ tomorrow morning.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
I found with buying mine sales were great but as soon as I had to deal with the service dept the service was awful. Ended up with serious complaints when I caught the mangeress lying to me about work being done

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Oooh you sound like your having the same sort of situation I did. My car went back numerous times for them to rectify what they had done/caused!! Let alone the manufacturer fault with the stop/start system....

Ive now got rid of that car, and so glad I did!! Much happier in the new one now...though even that hasnt come without its 'issues' :hmph: :(

·
Hmmmmm
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sales were excellent with me also. The service dept has been a different experience though. They are always very apologetic and fix things with no argument but I get so fed up having to take the wretched car back all the time because they just can't get things right and don't seem to notice.

·
The new improved ScottyG!
949 Posts
Yes, sales were excellent with me also. The service dept has been a different experience though. They are always very apologetic and fix things with no argument but I get so fed up having to take the wretched car back all the time because they just can't get things right and don't seem to notice.
Can i assume from your location you are dealing with Sterns?

·
Hmmmmm
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can i assume from your location you are dealing with Sterns?
Primarily, yes, but I was hit by a lorry a while ago and the repair was done at Sytner Oldbury bodyshop. The Sytner repair was excellent but they uses a 3rd party place for the stripes and it was dismal - hence Sytners getting me to go back to Sterns to try the stripes again. Tomorrow will be the 3rd time sterns have tried to remedy this particular problem. Sterns seem to have their own "smart repairer" but both the work and the checking of the results before we are told to collect the car seem distinctly lacking.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I too am assuming you're dealing with Robert Stern?

I bought my Dooper from there and had no trouble with the sales dept (which was great) but there is something lacking from the service dept (for a start the lack of sales-service communication!). I sometimes wonder if because the service is BMW-based that MINI are treated as the second class citizens :confused:
While speaking to the service guy at RS the other week when booking mine in I was showing up on the computer as having a previous appointment and missing it - and appointment that I knew nothing about!

·
The new improved ScottyG!
949 Posts
Primarily, yes, but I was hit by a lorry a while ago and the repair was done at Sytner Oldbury bodyshop. The Sytner repair was excellent but they uses a 3rd party place for the stripes and it was dismal - hence Sytners getting me to go back to Sterns to try the stripes again. Tomorrow will be the 3rd time sterns have tried to remedy this particular problem. Sterns seem to have their own "smart repairer" but both the work and the checking of the results before we are told to collect the car seem distinctly lacking.
You don't need to tell me about the lack of QC! :mad:

For the sake of others, not just for yourself, you HAVE to report your concerns to customer services. You probably won't get anything out of it, I didn't, but they need to be aware of yet another dissatisfied customer! :rolleyes:

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
Often the case in the motor trade generally that aftersales lets the side down. When 3rd party's are used it often gets worse. They dont realise with us MINI owners particularly that we need perfection constantly.
I know it seems a pain in the jacksy but at least its cosmetic not mechanical.
Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
408 Posts
I too am assuming you're dealing with Robert Stern?

I bought my Dooper from there and had no trouble with the sales dept (which was great) but there is something lacking from the service dept (for a start the lack of sales-service communication!). I sometimes wonder if because the service is BMW-based that MINI are treated as the second class citizens :confused:
While speaking to the service guy at RS the other week when booking mine in I was showing up on the computer as having a previous appointment and missing it - and appointment that I knew nothing about!

We deal with MINI's exactly the same as we deal with BMW's in 'our' dealer......
Generally the sales team Dont comunicate with the service team!!! period!!!! Sales team just want a sale and the car against their target........they seem to miraculously forget about 'your' problems and wait until you are SO P****d off and then tell you its the service team at fault!
When, infact they (sales) havent even told service about your issues and even when you are coming back to the dealer for rectification work!!!!
Then service end up in all the trouble when all we are trying to do is help you out/get ya car fixed!!!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We deal with MINI's exactly the same as we deal with BMW's in 'our' dealer......
Generally the sales team Dont comunicate with the service team!!! period!!!! Sales team just want a sale and the car against their target........they seem to miraculously forget about 'your' problems and wait until you are SO P****d off and then tell you its the service team at fault!
When, infact they (sales) havent even told service about your issues and even when you are coming back to the dealer for rectification work!!!!
Then service end up in all the trouble when all we are trying to do is help you out/get ya car fixed!!!!!!!
And I appreciate that they don't communicate! Through working in retail I understand that sales would drive sales (and would rather you bought a new one than get your's repaired) and bend over backwards to get you spend money.
In-between phonecalls I did infact wait 2-3 months for the problem to get sorted, which was more my fault than anyone at the dealers as I'd put it off. It wasn't until the sales guy I dealt with phoned me to see how I was getting on and mentioned our previous conversation. And then that time i never got the call from service he said I'd get so called myself.

The only fault I got was the booking that I'd missed which I actually knew nothing about.

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Don't talk to me about BMW bodyshops! Argh.......I had almost the same problem....three times my car went in and came out looking like a shambles........how can they not see what is plainly obvious. I can assume you i will never use a BMW approved bodyshop AGAIN, except if I am ever in Blackpool, the bodyshop Woodmans used was great! But it is a bit far for me to travel now!

Anyhow, I wrote a long letter to MINI Australia, including how the manager lied to me, made promises he couldn't keep and called my partner a liar even though we had photographic evidence!

Well my letter got me $250 off my next service as good will cause the manager had "left in the meantime" so my allegations couldn't be confirmed....how convenient!

·
Hmmmmm
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Often the case in the motor trade generally that aftersales lets the side down. When 3rd party's are used it often gets worse. They dont realise with us MINI owners particularly that we need perfection constantly.
I know it seems a pain in the jacksy but at least its cosmetic not mechanical.
Hope you get it sorted
I'm not a perfectionist really - I just want a good job done for the good money I have paid and a level of quality being reflective of something BMW would like to promote.

If they won't budge on price when you buy the car and numerous options then I'm not going to let them get away with shoddy workmanship.

Yes, this latest batch of things has been cosmetic but I've also had a bonnet scoop fly off on the M42 as the retaining screw wasn't fitted (after viper stripes being fitted) and a breakdown on the M42 with all the cooling system draining over the hard shoulder after the JCW kit wasn't fitted correctly.

·
vroom, vroom!
385 Posts
I had many a problem on my 06 Cooper. I lost count how many times it went back into the Garage. It wasn't anything technical, daft things really, but it was taking up a lot of my time - phoning, emailing and dropping the car off. In the end I sent a stinking letter to the head principal (i.e. the chief) and I gave him a few options. 1) I wanted the car bought back off me, 2) I would send him an invoice for my time 3) Give me a big discount on something.
The big Cheese gave me a call and offered me a big discount. Its hassle, but worth it.

·
Hmmmmm
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Edit: 26 June - just picked up the car again from another attempted respray of the bonnet scoop and they've cocked it up again! There's a black, rough, mark in the paint where something has touched it as it was drying just at the front of the underside edge of the scoop. Hopeless.... We spoke with the Service Manager and now the car is booked in for 7th July and they will keep it until it is right. Letter definitely going in the post to Customer Services HQ tomorrow morning.
Just updated the original post with the above from tonight.... Bl**dy hopeless.... :mad: 3 times on the bounce they try to paint a bonnet scoop and 3 times something touches the paint as it is drying and leaves a black mark in the yellow paint, and they DON"T EVEN NOTICE ....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not a perfectionist really - I just want a good job done for the good money I have paid and a level of quality being reflective of something BMW would like to promote.

If they won't budge on price when you buy the car and numerous options then I'm not going to let them get away with shoddy workmanship.
exactly how i feel! well said

after all the aggro i've had im still trying to get what i was promised

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had many a problem on my 06 Cooper. I lost count how many times it went back into the Garage. It wasn't anything technical, daft things really, but it was taking up a lot of my time - phoning, emailing and dropping the car off. In the end I sent a stinking letter to the head principal (i.e. the chief) and I gave him a few options. 1) I wanted the car bought back off me, 2) I would send him an invoice for my time 3) Give me a big discount on something.
The big Cheese gave me a call and offered me a big discount. Its hassle, but worth it.
you wouldn't happen to have contact info for the head principle would you?

·
vroom, vroom!
385 Posts
Head Principle in my case was one of the directors for the group that owns the Garage. Find outwho owns thems, it should be on their website or phone up and ask.
If nothing comes of this, block the entrance to the garage and tell anyone that turns up your story.
:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts