MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to order a MCS as my company car in January 05. I expect to take delivery around April.

I want to spec the Chili pack, but I have read several reviews that say that the 17" wheels ruin the ride compared to the 16" ones.

I am going to be doing a fair amount of motorway cruising and city work as a company driver - I'll only get to enjoy B-road MCS thrashing at the weekends :cool: - as such, something like the ride is quite important to me.

What are your experiences with this? Should I worry? As the leasing company will purchase the car, I don't really have the option of "doing a deal" with a dealer on swapping back 16" wheels. My only option would be to not go for Chili, and instead add options separately, but that is going to be more pricey (and so cost me more in tax!).

Thanks,

David.

·
Registered
20 Posts
David

We had wondered exactly the same thing ourselves. We recently ordered an MCS with no Chili pack, and we had heard that the handling was better with 16" wheels on.

However, in the last week we have changed our order to include the Chili pack - we've driven a car with 17 and 18 wheels on - the handling was awful with the 18s, but was fine with the 17s.

Best thing you can do is find a dealer who has demo cars with 16 and 17" wheels and see which you prefer.

HTH :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I own a Sept build MCS with chilli and 17"'s.

The ride is fine, if a little bumpetty over very poor surfaces.

Biggest problem is the suspension on speed bumps.

But if you want a smooth ride, buy a Mercedes.

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
I think 16s are the better wheels. The ride is more comfortable and they perform better due to the considerably lighter weight.
The 17s are livable with and aren't a huge problem.
You'll honestly be hard pushed to find a dealer to swap the 17s for the 16s.
17s are actually cheaper then the 16s :rolleyes:

I did manage to ge my last MCS spec'd up seperately to get the 16s and was able to get the difference refunded by MINI UK. This was due to the fact however that my first MCS had so many problems.

No harm in trying I guess ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point proved

MukiMunki said:
I own a Sept build MCS with chilli and 17"'s.

The ride is fine, if a little bumpetty over very poor surfaces.

Biggest problem is the suspension on speed bumps.

But if you want a smooth ride, buy a Mercedes.
Well, that appears to confirm what I thought. The ride is compromised on 17" wheels. What I am lead to believe is that the ride is much more Merc-like on the 16" wheels.

As you can't get a Merc for under £17k with 7-second 0-60 performance...

I'll test drive both wheel sets, if I can - dealers can get a bit lairy once they figure out you will source the car through your comany scheme and they won't make a sale :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's probably a more comfortable ride, but 17's look so much nicer. I'll put up with a few jarring bumps now and again in favour of the great looks. Especially as they are fitting Bullets from Jan 05 on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got 17 S Spokes on my car and the only time you really notice the lack of ride quality is on really rough surfaces. It's quite livable with & I think the 17s look better than 16s anyway. It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day.
I don't know how easy it would be to find an S at a dealer with 16s on to try though. I can't remember seeing one yet.

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
I ahve an MC with the 17" wheels and have an MCS on order and will also be having the 17" wheels. I have found the 17" wheels fine on the motorway and the only downfall is speedbumps or exceptionally bumpy roads - no bother other than that. The 17" do look good though!

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
StevePSB said:
Quite a lot more expensive, actually...
Apparently not. A dealer can source s-spokes for far cheaper then x-lites. Retail price has nothing to do with it.
Hence their reluctance to swap wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 17" S-spoke wheels will no longer be standard with the Chilli pack from January 2005, they are being replaced with the 17" 5-spokes as fitted to the Mini Convertible. The S-spokes will still be available but you need to opt for them over the default choice.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Martin L said:
Apparently not. A dealer can source s-spokes for far cheaper then x-lites. Retail price has nothing to do with it.
Hence their reluctance to swap wheels.
Source as in swapping wheels as opposed to buying them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts