MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a used 2004 black Mini Cooper with ~7000k miles on it for about $24,000, but I have a few questions.

Is that a good price?
It doesn't have the on board computer, and I'm curious how hard that is going to be to put in after I get it. Can I just take it to the dealership and pay to have them install one? Or would I be better off taking it somewhere else? I know that the spedometer is going to have to be moved, and I'm not sure how complicated that is.
How hard are the bonnet stripes to put on yourself? The Mini Cooper I am looking at is all black, and I'd like to put some white bonnet striped on myself, but I don't wanna mess it up.
Thanks for the help, It's greatly appreicated

Oh ya, here's the link to the Mini Cooper I'm looking at..

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=166553277&dealer_id=52047093&car_year=2004&make=MINI&distance=100&max_price=30000&model=&advcd_on=n&end_year=2005&min_price=10000&certified=n&address=98524&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=22

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2.

That's the most overpriced MINI I've seen in a while, its a horrible price basically.

All of the comments say standard things except for the automatic transmission + cruise contraol. So it has two options. Which cost $1300 (automatic transmission, aka continuously variable transmission aka CVT) and $350 (multi-function steering wheel, aka MFSW which includes cruise).

Oh wait, I just checked on the pictures, so the seller is lying. It doesn't have cruise, because if it did, there would be more buttons on the steering wheel (3 on each side, vs 1 on each side as it has). Nothing like a sleezy lying seller.

If I go and spec a 2004 like that on MINIUSA.com now, it costs $18,299.

Also, with only 6700 miles, and it being an automatic, I would be suspscious it was a demo car or a loaner, neither a good thing to purchase used. Most people who spec a car with no options wouldn't get an automatic, and if they did, they'd get more options.

Sorry to bear bad news, but stay as far away from that car as possible.

On the good side, you may be facing a long waiting list if you called up your local dealer to buy a car new, but you should be able to check out other dealers across the country (there's some people with cars coming into Mini of the Hamptons in NY that will get shipped to Washington in a few weeks) and find one that you like on the lot, or spec one yourself and get exactly what you want. If you're willing to spend $24K on a MINI, you can get almost every option, and get an '05 which has a few new features and will be worth more anyway.

As far as bonnet stripes, they're not hard to put on, but if you're not experienced at doing it, you should find a good decal shop, who should be able to do it for you for not very much. However, hopefully you can wait and order your own, where you can just spec bonnet stripes :)

Hope that helps, look around here for any other information, and feel free to ask more questions so you can decide what to do, just please stay away from that particular car, and that sleezy dealer.

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
I second everything Styder has said. If you're going to spend that kind of money, consider buying new. $24,000 will purchase a very well-specced MINI, plus then you have the peace of mind of a full warranty, full service for 3 yrs/36,000 miles (all you're really paying for is putting gas in the tank), and that spiffy new car smell! :)

If you're not too picky on options and/or lucky, you can just buy 'off the rack' at a local MINI dealership. Or as suggested above, have a MINI shipped from another dealership!

Good luck!

-Paul!

·
Registered
6 Posts
good Luck

I agree seller is trying to rip you off. HIs ad also claims premium wheels. Not so theses are the standard 15" wheels.

·
MINI2 Goofy
160 Posts
it seems to have leatherette interior..
imho... leave this car in its place OR give a call to the dealer and ask him about the specs...
if you love risk and the car is exactly the one in the pics, show him 15-16k $ cash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
mdsbrain
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing