MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question about insurance is If my father has insurance on a Mini but i'm driving and say I get in an accident but im not on the insurance policy but also not an excluded driver am I still covered? The car still has insurance right? Shouldn't I be covered?

I ask this question after I got an extremely high price on a insurance quote from 21st century the quote is $3,427.00 (6 months) on a mini cooper for a 17 year old with a new licence (1 month) and not the primary driver and less than 50 percent drive time(this was to save money it's actually to be my car soley.):eek:

P.S.Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
546 Posts
From a UK insurance market perspective, the short answer is "No."

You have to give the insurer sufficient info about the drivers and use of the car to rate the risk. In this country, that means telling the insurer the truth about who is the main user of the car. Over here, even on a so-called "any driver" policy, drivers under 25 years of age are considered "young drivers" and must be disclosed.

Insuring in a parent's name when the car is frequently used by a much younger driver is known as "fronting" and, if discovered by the insurer could result in a claim being declined.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you (or your parents) can afford to buy you the car, you should be able to afford the insurance. It should have been obvious it was going to be expensive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I found out funny things about insurance when I got my last car. I bought a 2000 cavalier ( not z24 ) and I ended up having to pay 100 dollars more a month than I was paying for the car. OUCH. I think I was paying about $450 a month for about 6 months even though my car payments were like $320. Didn't expect that. Had no accidents on my record either. :p

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
true fronting is trouble. they soon are able whos the main driver... u need to either declare yourself as that or as a named driver. if your the latter u probably have a maximum amount of usage before you are classed as the main user... be carefull and get full cover if your a young driver... u may think your a safe driver but theres plenty of other idiots out there that can cause you problems

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you have another car insured in your own name, you may be entitled to drive other vehicles on a Third Party Only basis, well in the UK anyway. Check with your underwriter/broker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts