MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking at buying a second hand (2008) Mini 1.6 D. Primarily I was interested in the model because of the specified MPG of 70 odd for a combined run. I went for a test drive today but the trip computer was reading an average of 34MPG. Have I just picked out a bad example? What are other owners averaging for MPG?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
640 Posts
For a 1.6D to only give 34mpg something is either seriously wrong or you drove it everywhere in 2nd! I'm getting around 60-65 at the moment from mine (59 plate, 16k miles) and last summer I was able to get mid 70s on the same 30 mile commute. Take the car for another test drive, reset the trip computer and see what happens. You'd need a half decent distance (20-30 miles?) to get an idea and even this won't be 100% accurate, for that you'd need to log the exact mileage and fuel put in for a tankful or two.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You didn't read the average speed did you?

That doesn't seem right at all. I pretty much drove mine with gusto and with 17"s the minimum mpg I ever saw was 47! Why don't you speak to the garage they may have an explanation - they may have done something to the car. After a service mine always read a bit low (not that low of course).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm looking at buying a second hand (2008) Mini 1.6 D. Primarily I was interested in the model because of the specified MPG of 70 odd for a combined run. I went for a test drive today but the trip computer was reading an average of 34MPG.
Are you sure it was a diesel? :D

Even driven in a spirited fashion, you should be looking at 45-50mpg...

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
ScoobyChris
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing