MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this sounds like a silly question, but does the installation of a front strut tower brace interfere with your access to the oil filter canister from above? I would hate to have to remove it every time I do an oil change.

I appreciate any insights you can offer or suggestions as to models which are less of a problem in this regard.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ncdave said:
I apologize if this sounds like a silly question, but does the installation of a front strut tower brace interfere with your access to the oil filter canister from above? I would hate to have to remove it every time I do an oil change.

I appreciate any insights you can offer or suggestions as to models which are less of a problem in this regard.
I believe it is much easier to get to the oil filter from BELOW the car actually.

So having a strut brace shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a jack and some jackstands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In some cases the strut bar will block your access.In most cases it will not.You just realy have to watch your purchases.You should ask the people who sell it too.9 times out of 10 they'll know and if not then just dont buy from them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ncdave said:
I have a skid plate fitted so I've always accessed the filter from above.
I have a skid plate as well and when I went for my 10K service, they changed the oil without removing the skidplate.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me too. I also have an oil drain installed and hook a hose up for draining purposes for neat changes. The dealer, however, removes the filter from above so the skid plate doesn't interfere. There absolutely no way you can remove the oil filter from below with a skid plate fitted as access to the entire engine compartment is blocked.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ncdave said:
Me too. I also have an oil drain installed and hook a hose up for draining purposes for neat changes. The dealer, however, removes the filter from above so the skid plate doesn't interfere. There absolutely no way you can remove the oil filter from below with a skid plate fitted as access to the entire engine compartment is blocked.
I beg to differ.

I have a strut brace (racing dynamics) and they removed the oil filter from below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts