MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody else noticed the suprised look on peoples faces when they pull up next to you. Just happened to me twice in one journey. People justvdont seem to associate the s with younger drivers. Anyone else noticed this....Im 22 by the way which isnt really that young

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
I'm 18 and over here there arn't that many 18year olds with "new and nice" cars, so sure, I get the look now and then, but I'm very thankful for being able to own this kind of car.

I'm so chocked, I'm on some US forums and people with E46 M3 at 16, yes, 16! years of age just chock me, damn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Treated with respect

Hey guys, I beat the record. I am 16 and have (or my father does) an 04 JCW MCS. My father is a doctor, and the car is his, and mine for transportation, but of course me being a car enthusiast I have my hands on it as much as possible. However when I am out an about I have had one fellow mini owner pull up beside me and was like "gees, your father lets you drive that thing?" But with every other mini owner I have seen I am just part of the mini community like everyone else. I love the car, it doesnt have a scratch on it, but it sure does get driven like a Mini. (if you know what I mean.) I also consider myself one of the luckiest persons on the world to be driving a Mini cooper s as basically my first automobile.

And out of A social group of friends who drive a 68 GT 500 Mustang, Jetta GLI, Toyota Supra 15th Anniversery, BMW 318i, (to name a few) the majority agree the mini is the coolest. :D

·
Mini-Holic
200 Posts
Black&WhiteScooper said:
has anybody else noticed the suprised look on peoples faces when they pull up next to you. Just happened to me twice in one journey. People justvdont seem to associate the s with younger drivers. Anyone else noticed this....Im 22 by the way which isnt really that young
hehe i get enouh people looking in my one. 18 btw

Cooper s will be here in a few weeks time :D god help them heheh :p

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
guess you dont have too many insurance problems.... There aren't too many young people driving Ss in Northern Ireland because the insurance is so high. Put it like this, I'm 24, had my licence for 8 years come April, am female (ie not a young boy racer), got 4 or 5 years protected no claims, and im still paying round about 1200 quid. That's the main problem over here... I'd be thinking about a jcw conversion quite soon, but insurance will put paid to any notion like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remember mine was $1600-no tickets, (or maybe they just didnt catch up to me, hehe). For listed drivers, 16 + works mini, I think thats decent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 22 and my insurance is $2400 a year! Also I'm American and stationed in the UK.. But in April (turn 23) my insurance will drop $350! I was told that once I get back to the states, my insruance should be ~$1600/year.

05 MCS

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm 19 and started driving our Cooper S when I was 17. Just like mcsworks, it's my parents but I can drive it any time I want. Nobody's ever looked surprised that I drive one other than the fact that I'm 6'4" :D . My friends and I are all car guys and whether it's a new MCS or a mk 1 mr2, we know how to drive right. I haven't had insurance problems because my main insurance is on our Honda Insight. Being young and driving a nice car is mostly showing your parents that you won't be stupid with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
kapps, my dad always threatened me he was going to sell the mini and get me an insight. :eek: :D

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
i think most people think the mini is just another small car.

only people that have ever gave me a second look are people in the know ie. driving nice cars, boy racers and of course the ladies!! ;)

i'm 21 by the way.

·
COOPER S LOCAL
271 Posts
19 Year Old In Lincoln England. Drive An Electric Blue Mcs And Pay For It All Myself. People Definately Look Suprised!!
:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

·
An idiot breaking his car
123 Posts
Well, i'm also 22 and I get "the look" all the time. Although it mostly comes from the people that see me get out of the car. Being 6' 3" I don't think the expect seeing that. :D

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Insurance on me is like 4500$ USD, on my mother with the "Drivers under 24" option it is 450$ USD.

Need I say on whom it is registered?

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Cant say Ive had any 'looks' from people, they usually admire the car, not whos driving it :eek: :p

·
Car enthusiast
219 Posts
I'm 24 but look 18, didn't get any surprised look. :) Got lots of thumbs up. :D

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
20 here.. cant say i get much of the look.. but rather guys at the local club seems to just say alot about how much my insurance is... and i can this much.... you guys dont want to know :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
ScottyB said:
Cant say Ive had any 'looks' from people, they usually admire the car, not whos driving it :eek: :p
Ditto, on the test drive alone in the Hyper Blue S...I got many many looks from lots of people (at the car) within the 30 mile test drive to put a big enough smile on my face...I was sold instantly (alas, I'm 31, so, I guess I'm in the "average" age in my area for one...haven't seen many, if any, younger people like 16-20 driving them...mostly suburban housewives who are wealthy(or rather their husbands)..and older gents (50's and 60's age)
:D

·
Proud Owner of YODA
44 Posts
18 here. I get alot of little kids that point and stare. Its fine though, I'll usually flash all four of my rally lights at them or honk my horn. :p I did get an older gent in a Mercedes Roadster thing pull up next to me the other day and give me the thumbs up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Funny looks

I am 16, almost seventeen. I just took the delivery on my hyper blue/white stripes MCS. I love it. It was worth all the hours that i had to work for it cause my parents dont believe in buying me a car. I have to pay for everything, but it is soooooo worth it. Anyways, i have a couple of funny quotes from people; "you really can get 4 people in there" , "Woman: is it safe?, husband:who cares, it looks cool. (had kids with them) and this is the best, no joke, from one of my friends "it looks like a bull dog". On another note, i have gotten some funny looks, had an old man laughing at me, most the faces are the "im not sure what to think look, but mainly i get the did your daddy buy that for you which ****es me off. Sorry about the long post. its my first and i have alot to say. :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts