MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those who are familiar with the two services. I am a big trance/techno guy and couldn't live without it. I am fitting my MINI with satellite so I can get my 24-hour fix, but don't know which of the two providers offer a better trance/techno/dance station line-up. Sure, I looked over their websites, but without listening, what can you do? I will sign up for the trial period online, but I was hoping to hear from some people with experience in this. Thanks!!! ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Xm

I've had XM for a little over 2 years now. 1 in my car and 1 in my office. Just purchased my Mini and now im going through car XM withdrawl, will be picking up a roady 2 soon I hope. But XM has one of my favorite stations BPM (Beats Per Minute) and they always got the latest and greatest dance music. I love it.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks howardpm! Anyone else out there with XM or Sirius and listen to the "dance" stations? Who has the best stuff???!

BTW, I was looking at the Roady2 as well. What is the general consensus on how the wireless antenna works. I've heard a lot of people just throwing it on top of their dash and they have no problems. Any news on this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Instead of the monthly payment to XM, you could just take your ipod and sync with the digitally recorded stations, such as Digitally Imported - Trance or XTC London to name a couple, and have your recorder auto tag all this stuff as genre - <enter station name>. That way you can replace it with new stuff every now and then. This way, the music is fresh and you have more control over it....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. Have you ever heard DirectTV's or your local cable co.'s music line-up?

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rrypma said:
Instead of the monthly payment to XM, you could just take your ipod and sync with the digitally recorded stations, such as Digitally Imported - Trance or XTC London to name a couple, and have your recorder auto tag all this stuff as genre - <enter station name>. That way you can replace it with new stuff every now and then. This way, the music is fresh and you have more control over it....

Yes! I was hoping something like this could be done! I listen to Digitally Imported everyday!!! OK, ok...so how do I do this???

1) Get an I-POD
2) ????

Can you tell I'm a dummy about this stuff?! Hahaha... Please help! Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
HAHA! I'm following you. OK, so all you need to do is find yourself a good *digital* recorder such as streamripper or iRadio (really recommended - only $30 or so) that records the bit stream and not an analog recorder such as total recorder that takes the analog output of your sound card. The prog spits out and splits the stream into individual MP3s into a folder that is entitled with the name of the stream. Let that baby run all night long and then drag and drop that folder onto your <name of stream> playlist in iTunes and sync your ipod. Next, what I do is simply retag all MP3s in that folder with the name of the stream in the genre or comment field of the ID3 imbedded tag for easy retrieval and archiving purposes (and for easy deletes to refresh content of course). iTunes is extrememly powerful for playlists and "smart playlists" and can be manipulated to your heart's content. Now, you aren't subject to what any station is playing, and if you don't like what is playing, simply skip to the next track! Think of it as radio-on-demand. :)

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome info guys! Thanks a bundle!!! ;)

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
8 Posts
Both services DO allow a test drive of their music content online.

I have had both XM and Sirius - I like Sirius better overall, but XM has a good punk station (Sirius's version is too much ska & rap) and XM also has a few really good classic rock and classic alternative channels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.