6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought a new Cooper and the options I added where:

Chili Pack
Upgraded to the better 16" Alloys
Sunroof
Piano black dash interior

How many of those need declaring on the insurance as modifications? Does this mean I can't get the car insured with people like direct line?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm afraid they will all need declaring. In fact you may have to even go into what the chilli pack includes if the insurer isn't aware. I don't know if direct line will insure you as I always go with Adrian Flux ;) They always come out the cheapest for me but shop around as they don't for everyone.

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
Yep they will all need declaring. The insurer should have the Chilli pack down, but they may not. Declaring everything is best. I told mine about the roof decal, darkened rear windows etc. Also you need to check whether any replacements are like for like in the event of a claim. Some insurance companies will only pay for a basic car from the factory and so won't cover any dealer fit items etc.

I went with Greenlight which is mod friendly insurer, but I think it depends on your age as they wouldn't insure my younger sister when she tried to get a quote for them. Prior to that I was with Direct Line and they were ok about my options that I had fitted, but Greenlight was much cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ok thats a bit rubbish. Greenlight wont insure me as i'm too young, Adrian Flux will but there quote was a little high, Direct Line are still in the lead right now.

Ill give them a ring and see if they'll accept it - there options rather than modifications so it seems slightly odd.

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
Hmmm ok thats a bit rubbish. Greenlight wont insure me as i'm too young, Adrian Flux will but there quote was a little high, Direct Line are still in the lead right now.

Ill give them a ring and see if they'll accept it - there options rather than modifications so it seems slightly odd.
That is a bit annoying! :(

Yes companies see them as mods because MINIs can be so customised straight from the factory whereas most other car companies have a very limited set of choices or packages. So a MINI very rarely comes from the factory as standard with absolutely nothing added.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Sidewalk, and I ordered nearly all the optional extras. I'm with Admiral, and I tried to get another quote online (I have always said 'no' to any modifications as I figured any factory-fitted mods would not be counted) but they only seem to be interested in things like brakes, suspension etc. Also, because they know my car is a Sidewalk they must know the interior is styled differently. I also got DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and sports suspension but the only options they have are lowering suspension etc - I'm not a mechanic, no idea what difference the sports suspension and 'normal' suspension have! What do you think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi I have bought a checkmate with extras already fitted, ie multifunction steering wheel, visibility pack. Do these have to be declared as modifications?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I insured our Dooper I just declared it as the Dooper with Chilli pack but then was asked to provide the value of the car which is obviously more than than the standard car with chilli pack due to the options....wont that cover it??

If not id better get on to the insurance company in the morning! ;O)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts