MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states - I'm looking for a quieter exhaust :(

Currently have a Janspeed manifold coupled to the Milltek cat back although I feel that my other mods, head, cam etc etc ,are probably contributing to the extra noise!

I've had complaints from the neighbours when I start the car in the morning (6am) even though I don't touch the accelerator (it's running on the higher revs from choke). I've also had looks from the Old Bill and I don't go out of my way to attract attention :(

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
460 Posts
head will make it a touch louder, cam wont at low revs so much, if the noise is seriously loud for you then keeping the cat and going back to stock might be the best and cheapest option providing you still have your stock back box, running an after market cat back and header will always make things louder.

could be worse for you neighbors tbh at least you dont have a 5 litre TVR then i could understand them complaining.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
lol! i reckon they just deal with it, a person I know has a very loud Evo IV VERY loud and his neighbours delt with it lol

Can you not get a sounds reducer or different baffles or something. I know you can get this for certain exhaust systems but not sure about the milltek :confused:

EDIT: The ones that I have seen are for HKS systems, you can put them in and also remove them easily, i think they go into the actual exhaust

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you running a CAT?

Fit a more restrictive cat? fit a turbo? fit a more restrictive exhaust or one that has so low restriction silencers in series.
Yip - running a cat.

Turbo is an option open to me but £ is being spent by "she who walks on water" so my car funds have suffered!!

There's a Milltek on eBay just now which has an additional silencer in series - I'll keep an eye on it.

Any suggestions for a more restrictive exhaust system?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Yip - running a cat.

Turbo is an option open to me but £ is being spent by "she who walks on water" so my car funds have suffered!!

There's a Milltek on eBay just now which has an additional silencer in series - I'll keep an eye on it.

Any suggestions for a more restrictive exhaust system?
Get a silencer added in the mid second pipe :)

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
A quieter option would be stock system with GTT Re-Route. For optimum noise removal use a very low mileage stock system as the base.....Also tested out very well on our exhaust back pressure test thread a couple of years back.:smile:

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Reactions: Aberdeen Al

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have just gone through this.....
Had full Milltek System ( Manifold and Cat Back) way too loud for everyday IMHO on a modified MCS. Problem sorted by replacing the Milltek Cat Back with a stock system again. Car sounds perfect and no loss of power.

Funny as the just having the Milltek Cat back and stock manifold sounded great, plus Milltek Manifold and Stock Exhaust sounds great…. just the full Milltek system is too loud on modified MCS.

Speak to Lohen as they had a few 2nd hand stock cat backs following a number of customers upgrading to Milltek Cat backs.

Cheers

Perm

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
you could also add a noise attenuator (cone) into the tail pipes -it might take some of the edge off the noise or............ move somewhere with very elderly neighbours?-Torquay?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts