MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very glowing MINI Cooper test in the new Road & Track. Most interesting is their complaint that the Cooper would have much better grip if not equipped with the mud & snow tires, then finding it will, on those tires, whip any BMW or Ferrari through their slalom test. Much talk the "mere" 115hp, but not really any complaints about performance outside of the stoplight grand prix.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Woo-Hoo! That makes me happy! Take that, Civic Type R!
:D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
That makes me happy, too Spoolin'

But since the US only gets the Civic Si model, not the Civic Type R, it's meaningless to bring up the Type R as a comparision to the Cooper S. Might as well bring up the Nissan Skyline or Renault Clio 172 - both of which are also not available in the US.

By the way, if you want to see how the Cooper S compares to the Civic Si that the US does get, look at this:

me in another thread said:

Civic Si vs. Cooper S

Horsepower: 160 hp vs. 163 hp :)
Torque: 132 lb-ft. vs. 155 lb-ft. :D
Weight: 2,744* lbs. vs. 2,513 lbs. :D :D
Tires: 195/60R-15 vs. 195/55R-16 :)
US Price**: $20K vs. $21K :eek:

* - Civic Si weight for Euro model - US Si expected to be heavier
** - Estimated prices for both based upon press reports
Now I'm off to the newstand to try and find a copy of Road & Track! :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Point taken :rolleyes: I've beat the Civic Type R to death all over the forum. I can't stand the things that have been said that are meant to put down the Cooper S to make the Type R look better. I'll shutup now :cool:

P.S. The Civic Type R Sucks!!!

P.P.S. I'm not perfect :D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know, even if the Type R doesn't suck, I can't be too concerned about it, because I can't get one. It would be really nice if the U.S., in all its New World Order glory, would accept world market cars for sale in the U.S. I would really like to have the option of buying a Lotus Elise, or some of the hot versions of timid U.S. cars, like the Focus. The SVT will be nice, but isn't there a 230hp version available in Europe? Of course, I'm sure manufacturers could bring a lot of cool cars here, and they don't because they can't afford to make trial lawyers any richer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
RickB said:
Ya know, even if the Type R doesn't suck, I can't be too concerned about it, because I can't get one. It would be really nice if the U.S., in all its New World Order glory, would accept world market cars for sale in the U.S. I would really like to have the option of buying a Lotus Elise, or some of the hot versions of timid U.S. cars, like the Focus. The SVT will be nice, but isn't there a 230hp version available in Europe? Of course, I'm sure manufacturers could bring a lot of cool cars here, and they don't because they can't afford to make trial lawyers any richer.
Rick, I agree. If I had a chance to actually get my hands on a Lotus Elise or a TVR or that cool new Focus you were talking about, I would. I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into the SVT, for her next car. I read somewhere that the engine was developed by Cosworth. Suspensions on the Focus models are very good, as well.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Hey, just picked up a copy of the Road & Track. The MINI is the main article with a yellow MINI Cooper on the magazine’s cover.

Nice story and photos on the MINI Cooper tested in Germany. They even went to the trouble to describe the MINIs heritage by explaining in several sidebars what a classic Mini is and why they are truly unique in the world of automobiles.

R&T estimated prices for these options:

Leather seating – “seats are very comfortable on long cruises”(?!) - $1,200
Sunroof - $800
Heated seats - $300
Chrome accents - $100
Foglamps - $100
Destination charges - $570

This brought the price of the standard US-spec MINI Cooper they tested to an estimated $21,070. :eek:

Oh, and in the same issue, the MINI Cooper was only 1.9 seconds faster through the slalom than the Porsche-tuner Ruf’s new 911-based Rturbo costing $216,880. :D :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
<words unnecessary>

BruceK said:
Oh, and in the same issue, the MINI Cooper was only 1.9 seconds faster through the slalom than the Porsche-tuner Ruf’s new 911-based Rturbo costing $216,880. :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Oh, and in the same issue, the MINI Cooper was only 1.9 seconds faster through the slalom than the Porsche-tuner Ruf’s new 911-based Rturbo costing $216,880.
After driving my Cooper around our local lanes for the last 2 months, this doesn't suprise me. :D :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
More of this please!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and in the same issue, the MINI Cooper was only 1.9 seconds faster through the slalom than the Porsche-tuner Ruf’s new 911-based Rturbo costing $216,880.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I've stopped grinning, any chance of more details of the slalom - Don't get R&T down here

Cheers!:)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: More of this please!

rich said:
quote:

Now I've stopped grinning, any chance of more details of the slalom - Don't get R&T down here

Cheers!:)
HEY I GOT IT WRONG!

The MINI Cooper R&T tested is 1.9 mph faster than the Ruf Rturbo Porsche through the slalom. MPH not seconds. Sorry for the confusion.

There is no universial slalom standard used by US car magazines. AutoWeek has one standard, Car and Driver has another, but Road and Track uses a 700 ft slalom. No information is provided as to spacing of the pylons.

Here’s how the MINI Cooper compares to some other cars R&T has tested:

MINI Cooper -- 67.6 mph
Ruf Rturbo – 65.7 mph
Ferrari F50 – 65.7 mph
Acura (Honda) NSX – 62.1 mph
Audi TT 1.8T – 64.4 mph
Corvette Z06 – 67.1 mph
Viper GTS – 63.6 mph
Honda S2000 – 65.9 mph
Ford Focus ZTS – 62.9 mph
Diablo 6.0 – 66.4 mph
Boxster S – 65.6 mph
New Beetle 1.8T GLS – 59.1 mph
Subaru Impreza WRX – 62.8 mph
Lexus IS 300 – 65.6 mph
Mazda Miata MX-5 -- 62.7 mph

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bruce, thanks for leading me here.

Let's not forget the Mazda MP3, with it's Racing Beat built suspension, turning as fast as the MINI, but with MUCH better tires.

Having driven a Miata w/sport package for several years now, I've realised how much more the handling is worth for the fun factor. Speed is nice, but this kind of handling secures my decision for ANY MINI, niggles and all ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bruce - which Cooper did they test? The standard Cooper or one with bigger wheels/tyres? Perhaps the reference to "mud and snow tyres" makes my question irrelevant?

I must admit I'm a road test junkie. Got all the UK tests - I'll have to try and find a copy of R&T in the UK.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Red & White Cooper 2 said:
Bruce - which Cooper did they test? The standard Cooper or one with bigger wheels/tyres? Perhaps the reference to "mud and snow tyres" makes my question irrelevant?

I must admit I'm a road test junkie. Got all the UK tests - I'll have to try and find a copy of R&T in the UK.
R&T tested a standard MINI Cooper (no SS+) with "Dunlop SP Winter Sport 175/65R-15 84T M+S" specification.

In the article, R&T stated the Dunlops were "appropriate for rainy and snowy winter months, but they prevented the MINI from realizing its full performance potenital during our dry-weather track test". These Dunlops are specifcally blamed elsewhere in magazine for the MINI's poor skid pad showing of only .79G.

I've seen Road & Track at WHSmiths in the UK, so I know it's available there. :) Look for the yellow MINI on the cover.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply Bruce.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: More of this please!

BruceK said:

HEY I GOT IT WRONG!

The MINI Cooper R&T tested is 1.9 mph faster than the Ruf Rturbo Porsche through the slalom. MPH not seconds. Sorry for the confusion.

There is no universial slalom standard used by US car magazines. AutoWeek has one standard, Car and Driver has another, but Road and Track uses a 700 ft slalom. No information is provided as to spacing of the pylons.

Here’s how the MINI Cooper compares to some other cars R&T has tested:

MINI Cooper -- 67.6 mph
Ruf Rturbo – 65.7 mph
Ferrari F50 – 65.7 mph
Acura (Honda) NSX – 62.1 mph
Audi TT 1.8T – 64.4 mph
Corvette Z06 – 67.1 mph
Viper GTS – 63.6 mph
Honda S2000 – 65.9 mph
Ford Focus ZTS – 62.9 mph
Diablo 6.0 – 66.4 mph
Boxster S – 65.6 mph
New Beetle 1.8T GLS – 59.1 mph
Subaru Impreza WRX – 62.8 mph
Lexus IS 300 – 65.6 mph
Mazda Miata MX-5 -- 62.7 mph
Thanks Bruce, brilliant info!

It simply confirms what anyone who has driven a MINI knows the instant they hit a corner. This baby is the mutt's nuts! It's what roads were built for and is the definition of driving pleasure

I am going to *so* enjoy leaving various friends in their 'faster on paper only' WRXs, TTs, Saab Aeros, Alfa Spyder V6s, S2000s in a flabby, ungainly heap on the side of the road!:D

I would even shout them all a slap-up meal with the money I saved not buying one of these lesser cars:)
Fortunately, they don't know about this forum;)

The wait gets more unbearable by the day:mad:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: Re: More of this please!

R1 said:

Thats suprising! They must have sorted the Corvette's handling then. :)
Well, there never was anything wrong with the Corvette's handling AFAIK. But the Z06 model I listed is the highest performance model offered so it betters the standard 'vette in every respect. Still, that is a really good time for a large car like the Corvette.

What I can't wait to see it how well a Cooper S does in the R&T slalom. The S has to be better than the standard Cooper they tested which means it will really, really kick some butt. :D

·
Summer Splasher
675 Posts
MINI slalom speed

Look at the road test summary in the same issue, there are only 2 cars that are listed with a higher speed than the Mini with the M&S tires....67.6 mph

Porsche 911 Turbo....67.8 mph
Porsche 911 GT2......68.7 mph

I would think Road & Track would certainly like the Mini! Just as much as the "original smile car" !!!

Fun! and Fast!

·
Registered
86 Posts
More specificis on R&T edition

Guys, I looked around my local store today and could not find the R&T edition referenced...can anyone tell me dates etc...I'm up in the Frozen North (Toronto)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts