MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - not long acquired a 150,000 mile 2003 Cooper.

Have been dealing with various problems including replacing missing air con components (for some reason beyond me, the high side pressure hoses had been cut through). Once I had the AC up and running again, I noticed the low-speed fan wasn't running so did the resistor mod and that now runs fine. At the moment the AC is not working as the expansion valve is causing too much pressure on the high side.

What has just started is the cooling fan is running high from about 30 seconds after starting and doesn't switch off until I turn the engine off. Have checked the coolant temp via the test menu and it's not gone above 90 so the fan shouldn't be kicking in. As I say, AC is switched off and pressure is below the level needed to kick the high speed fan in there either.

Would this be down to the coolant temp sensor? Couldn't see how it could be that if the readings on the test menu are below the minimum temp the fan kicks in on. The AC isn't running and the pressure according to connected manifold gauges isn't above the level either to make it kick in there.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
its because you will have a stored fault code need to scan it with a good scanner not all scanners see all codes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah - didn't know that - thanks very much.

I've got a decent OBDII Scanner so will check - no EML light on though?

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
then would live data the coolant sensor when engine cold see what it reads ie if showing very hot when very cold then faulty sensor or working or ecu,
when aircon is switched on the fan should run

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - I'll hook up a scanner this weekend and look at the live data. However as per OP above, test menu 7.0 shows coolant readings and they're much lower than 112 when the fan is running.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Ok - I'll hook up a scanner this weekend and look at the live data. However as per OP above, test menu 7.0 shows coolant readings and they're much lower than 112 when the fan is running.
they would be as yours is not a prince engine its a tritec ( 80-95c ie first gen engines jointly made between 3 car makers back early 2000s rover group who designed the first mini were part of that partnership totally different cars that r56 , first gen are more MG leyland/over view by bmw as bmw bought out the group just before it went under they also bought landrover rover and broke the group up kept the mini plans and used the landrover 4x4 designs for their new x3 and x5 bmw's then sold a load of stuff off the china siac group, and india tata for jag and landrover,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they would be as yours is not a prince engine its a tritec ( 80-95c ie first gen engines jointly made between 3 car makers back early 2000s rover group who designed the first mini were part of that partnership totally different cars that r56 , first gen are more MG leyland/over view by bmw as bmw bought out the group just before it went under they also bought landrover rover and broke the group up kept the mini plans and used the landrover 4x4 designs for their new x3 and x5 bmw's then sold a load of stuff off the china siac group, and india tata for jag and landrover,,
Ok - but previously it wasn't kicking in until 112 degrees previously.....

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Ok - but previously it wasn't kicking in until 112 degrees previously.....
the running temps when on the road on later engines is 112c if got old style thermo housing, and latest spec are 105c thats on r56, on gen 1 cars like yours the upper limit for high speed fan could very well be that high ie this is just before it boils, but the running temps are a lot lower than this, would suspect temp sensor a bit wonky would be first thing worth changing as with the age they go off spec

1 - 9 of 9 Posts