MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 R50 has 350,000 Km on the clock and about 2 weeks ago the car developed a high frequency vibration which seemed to come from the front right side. Was not gearbox related as it still made the same noise clutch in or out when coasting on smooth tarmac. So it was time to check the bearings. Jacked the car and spun the wheel and I could just hear a small vibration. Seemed that the bearings where failing. So ordered a new hub and took the car off the road for a few days. While it was up on blocks I decided to check the off side wheel bearing. Removed the wheel, brake housing (better order some brake pads), and brake disc. Punched out the safety on the nut pushed the axel back in a little and removed the hub after removing the four bolts. Took about 15 minutes to do this. I took the hub to my workshop and using a puller dismantled the hub (no reference anywhere on the net to this procedure) See the attached pictures. 2 sets of ball bearings (not rollers). The grease was almost dry and the bearings were close to running metal on metal. After 350,000 km I suppose it was not surprising. Anyway cleaned off all the old grease and filled the bearing up with a Graphite EP Grease and pressed the bearing sleeve back on. Refitted the hub and the wheel and torqued up the hub nut to the recommended 134 lb/ft and spun the wheel. No noise. I did the same to the noisy bearing and after pulling the bearing made a close examination of the raceway. It was just starting to show scoring and spalling and was definitely not useable and the bearings balls on one side had changed color probably from being hot and no lubrication. So that side received the new hub. Anyway I have decided that when the vehicle gets to 400,000 km I'll do the same again and replace the bearing grease and probably the off side re-greased hub. I just love driving this car and will keep it on the road until Government Regulations take all petrol engines off the road. Then I'll probably convert to an electric motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Mini Cooper
26 Posts
This beats my straight replacement story quite considerably 😂 The only notable achievement I made was getting the bloody hub nut off 😂😂

1 - 2 of 2 Posts