MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so I bought a r50 mini one as a "cheap run about' it had sat up and had seized brakes as I thought that'll be an easy fix, "sure I'll just replace all the sliders" boy was I wrong! so far I've put all new discs, pads, a rear caliper, sliders and all new bleed nipples.

After doing all this I discovered the brakes where about as useful as Anne Frank's drumkit! As they are super spongey when driving but hard when the car is off.
When driving the brakes do harden if you pump the pedal to the floor a few times.

This is driving me crazy as I've bled the brakes so many times trying to sort this I could instruct Stevie wonder and ray Charles how to do it in my sleep!

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue with this turd?
I was thinking there could be a vacuum leak of some sort but no idea where to start looking.
Any help would be appreciated as I'm all out of ideas

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Right so I bought a r50 mini one as a "cheap run about' it had sat up and had seized brakes as I thought that'll be an easy fix, "sure I'll just replace all the sliders" boy was I wrong! so far I've put all new discs, pads, a rear caliper, sliders and all new bleed nipples.

After doing all this I discovered the brakes where about as useful as Anne Frank's drumkit! As they are super spongey when driving but hard when the car is off.
When driving the brakes do harden if you pump the pedal to the floor a few times.

This is driving me crazy as I've bled the brakes so many times trying to sort this I could instruct Stevie wonder and ray Charles how to do it in my sleep!

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue with this turd?
I was thinking there could be a vacuum leak of some sort but no idea where to start looking.
Any help would be appreciated as I'm all out of ideas

Thanks in advance
when putting new pads in rear calipers did you notice anything with the wire clips on the rear of the pad caliper side,
when bleeding brakes did you use a pressure bleeder or not,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't notice anything different with the pads, and I didn't use a pressure bleeder, would using one make a difference?

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I didn't notice anything different with the pads, and I didn't use a pressure bleeder, would using one make a difference?
always use a pressure bleeder especially on old cars it can flip the worn out seals in the master cylinder due to excessive travel,, below link a good cheap one works a treat one person can change all brake liquid on all 4 calipers in half hour easy easy bleed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-G4062-Eezi-Bleed-Brake-Clutch-BLEEDING-TOOL-Kit/360354247173?epid=26021556449&hash=item53e6c97205:g:Y2IAAMXQbBVRBVZg:rk:9:pf:0

WARNING REMEMBER TO REDUCE THE TYRE PRESSURE YOU USE TO 12PSI MAX OR CAN BURST THE BOTTLE AT 35PSI LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts