MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My power steering pump failed a few days ago, luckily just reversing off the drive. Strangely it's working fine today but I'm not risking driving it until it's fixed.

My question is will an r56 pump fit my R50?

eBay lists one that fits 50/53/56. A friend works at bmw and said it was fixed after 2007 because it was a common problem. He also said the R56 pump is different to the R50 and won't fit. While I'm taking his advice I'm here to double double check.

Any advice welcome, thanks

Jayne.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jayne76,

I know it was almost 2 years ago, but I hope you're still around here.
I had an unusual experience today, similar to yours. I reversed my Mini on approx. 50 yard long, and the power steering suddenly failed in a strange way: it felt like if it was doing it's job into the opposite direction, making the steering almost impossible (I'm not _that_ weak, and I had cars without power steering). Stopping and starting the engine solved the problem ( a'la Windows '95 ). Perhaps the reversing confused the software via a supposedly one-way sensor?
Did you found the cause of your problem, or simply replaced the pump?

Best
drsx

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Hi Jayne76,

I know it was almost 2 years ago, but I hope you're still around here.
I had an unusual experience today, similar to yours. I reversed my Mini on approx. 50 yard long, and the power steering suddenly failed in a strange way: it felt like if it was doing it's job into the opposite direction, making the steering almost impossible (I'm not _that_ weak, and I had cars without power steering). Stopping and starting the engine solved the problem ( a'la Windows '95 ). Perhaps the reversing confused the software via a supposedly one-way sensor?
Did you found the cause of your problem, or simply replaced the pump?

Best
drsx
it has is a circuit board inside the pump that over heats or oil has leaked from the pressure side and makes it intermittent at first,, i promise you it will keep doing it and one day you could be driving along and need to turn car and it wont not a good feeling,, the only correct and safe way is replace the pump,, BBA REMEN do a pup with life time warranty on it for £180 believe me its the safest option, link below,
Home (GB) | BBA Reman

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
it has is a circuit board inside the pump that over heats or oil has leaked from the pressure side and makes it intermittent at first,, i promise you it will keep doing it and one day you could be driving along and need to turn car and it wont not a good feeling,, the only correct and safe way is replace the pump,, BBA REMEN do a pup with life time warranty on it for £180 believe me its the safest option, link below,
Home (GB) | BBA Reman
What usually kills them is graphite dust, which is obviously a great conductor, from the brushes wearing done and getting onto the circuit board inside. By far the most common cause. Another common symptom of failure is that they continue to run after you've turned the car off. Same reason - graphite dust. And that flattens the battery in two shakes. Not heard of them overheating. BBA Reman in Rochester, Kent are the people as Mike says. I've taken PSPs there as they are near me. 100% know what they are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Thank you all for the replies.

Just a little follow-up.
I don't have any problem with the PSP since the end of March (approx. 1500 miles). However today I found the possible cause of the issue.
I decided to check and clean the cooling fan on the PSP. When I crawled under my car, I noticed the fan is missing. Probably the following happened when the PSP failed in March: the day the pump failed on was an unusually hot day, the wind cooled the pump while moving, but as soon as I stopped the heat from the engine overheated the pump controller and it shut off itself. The reason it didn't failed again is probably the low temperatures this spring.
I checked the servo fluid level too, the reservoir was almost dry, and the car have splattered oil (not too much) on the bottom at the front right side (not engine oil, change was more than 500 miles ago and the level is still the same as it was) so I possibly have a more serious problem with the steering than a low fluid level or a faulty PSP controller. The mechanic will hopefully tell me more on Monday.

Best
drsx

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Hello,

Thank you all for the replies.

Just a little follow-up.
I don't have any problem with the PSP since the end of March (approx. 1500 miles). However today I found the possible cause of the issue.
I decided to check and clean the cooling fan on the PSP. When I crawled under my car, I noticed the fan is missing. Probably the following happened when the PSP failed in March: the day the pump failed on was an unusually hot day, the wind cooled the pump while moving, but as soon as I stopped the heat from the engine overheated the pump controller and it shut off itself. The reason it didn't failed again is probably the low temperatures this spring.
I checked the servo fluid level too, the reservoir was almost dry, and the car have splattered oil (not too much) on the bottom at the front right side (not engine oil, change was more than 500 miles ago and the level is still the same as it was) so I possibly have a more serious problem with the steering than a low fluid level or a faulty PSP controller. The mechanic will hopefully tell me more on Monday.

Best
drsx
not all mini gen 1 mini's came with a cooling fan for steering pump from factory, if there is any oil from that pump under your car its pump bearings and seals are nailed,, you done well 1500 miles and not happened again with no one killed its a bonus that,

·
Registered
4 Posts
No fluid under the car, it's only splattered on the bottom of the car.
Mechanic's verdict: it comes from the steering rack at the rubber bell on the right hand side, I made pictures of that area while the car was lifted today at the garage. The ps pump and the surrounding area is clean. Looks like my car need a new steering rack soon.
Could this problem have anything to do with the pump itself, or is it clearly a rack issue?
Regarding the psp fan, even the wiring is missing. I'll hack it together later, after I solve the current pump/rack leaking problem.

Edit:
you done well 1500 miles and not happened again with no one killed its a bonus that
I might feel a bit of sarcasm here >:D actually it wasn't me who did well, it was my mini, with help from God. ;)

Best
drsx

Attachments

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
No fluid under the car, it's only splattered on the bottom of the car.
Mechanic's verdict: it comes from the steering rack at the rubber bell on the right hand side, I made pictures of that area while the car was lifted today at the garage. The ps pump and the surrounding area is clean. Looks like my car need a new steering rack soon.
Could this problem have anything to do with the pump itself, or is it clearly a rack issue?
Regarding the psp fan, even the wiring is missing. I'll hack it together later, after I solve the current pump/rack leaking problem.

Edit:

I might feel a bit of sarcasm here >:D actually it wasn't me who did well, it was my mini, with help from God. ;)

Best
drsx
no not sarcasm just a point to try and get it across that when those pumps fail you loose all steering, if you had been unlucky to have had that happen to you you would take this seriously, rather than keep driving something that is waiting t do the above,, pit it another way i'm nearly 6 ft tall i pick 6 speed gearbox off the ground a fair bit so fairly strong i would think.. years a go i test drove a mini with a intermittent steering pump fault and it happened when approaching a runabout,, i never managed to get it around the roundabout as could not get steering to turn both ways fast enough,
you just dont play fast and loose with steering, brakes, and fire risk faults as it always ends badly,
all above is just facts not sarcasm, stupidity is to ignore the problem that nearly all mini gen 1 get ie steering pump failures thinking yours will be the one that will be different promise you it wont,, just hope for your or anyone else involved in it when it does cut out that no one gets hurt. or that thought of.... i really should of believed that guy on the forum ie its dangerous should not be driven until repaired,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really thought you are joking. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Regarding the PSP failure, it probably happened because of overheating, and the main reason of overheating was probably the low servo fluid level, which in turn could be caused by a failed sealing or bearing in the pump itself, or alternatively a blown sealing in the steering rack, or even a leaking hose (the car will get new upper hoses/clamps/seals below the servo fluid reservoir in a week or two, regardless this issue). The fault may never happen if it would have the fan and/or the reservoir isn't empty. If I would see a good chance that the pump is the culprit, if it happen more than once, then I'd already took the necessary steps to mitigate the danger.
I wrote it didn't happen since 1.5kmi because I think it could be an important information - I think a pump with a faulty electric motor might fail way more often (it's just my opinion, I could be wrong of course). I didn't wrote my mini is definitely an exception, nor I did well - just added more factual information about what happened since the end of March.
I appreciate your reason to be so serious with steering and brakes, and I fully agree with that statement about steering, brake and fire hazards. You are banging on open doors. If the psp is broken, then it's really dangerous to drive the car. However when the cause isn't the pump itself, but I still replace it regardless, then it's still dangerous because it will fail again without me expecting it: "I replaced the pump so it works well so I can take this following tight curve easily...". In this current case, my only remaining question is: which part I need to replace to make my car safe? Actually I'd be happy if this would be a faulty pump, it is easier and quicker to replace than the steering rack.

Back to the topic, a serious question: is it _possible_ a faulty pump is leaking fluid into the steering rack?

Best
drsx

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
not possible for the pump to leak in to rack, by the picks it looks like the steering rack servo part is leaking,, what is possible is this,, steering pump wears out adding particles of metal in to the oil that get fed through the steering rack servo part and destroys the steering rack at upper point ie servo part,, bmw done a recall on the pumps that included changing the steering rack if signs of leak from rack upper as your is,, because when pumps eat their bearings it fill oil with particles and wears away any of the other moving parts it gets passed through, as for why pump has failed its nothing to do with lack of cooling fan that does not have much bearing on it, its because these pumps were made from cheap rubbish materials in the first place,, back 1998 to 2001 when car was being designed it was going to be a mg rover group car before bmw seen how much money it could generate for them. the engines were designed in built in brazil on a linked deal with Chrysler, a lot of stuff was designed around a basic cost as cheap as could get away with..
and no i only have one level its not to take the P or insult or sarcasm i try and keep in the deep end of the pool and not play in the shallow end,, because i really would be wasting my time helping people on here for free just to do any of that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing