MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Have an interesting and frustrating situation,
The drivers side tweeter in my R52 Sidewalk doesn’t work - hasn’t worked since I bought it last year,

I’ve taken the door card off and removed the tweeter and replaced it with a global parts replacement from eBay - aaaaand nothing.
Thought must be a dud, ordered a new one, also not working.

I’ve unplugged the main speaker in the lower of the door, and connected the main speaker to the tweeter connection with some small pieces of wire and there is sound! So I know the cables running to the tweeter are good.

Any reason why the tweeter wouldn’t work despite there being a working connection?

Unlikely that three tweeters would be all be faulty

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,017 Posts
I would take into consideration that tweeters work off treble, and something might be wrong with that on your system and need to be adjusted. How much ohm's it has may also play a factor as it might be much higher than your larger speaker, before it activates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take into consideration that tweeters work off treble, and something might be wrong with that on your system and need to be adjusted. How much ohm's it has may also play a factor as it might be much higher than your larger speaker, before it activates.
Good point with the treble!
Might take the other side door card off and see if the tweeter works on the passenger side - at least then I can confirm I don’t have three dead tweeters (the original and the two eBay replacements)

is it possible the head unit is not outputting the treble on just the R signal? Obviously I’ve played about with the Fade, Balance, Treble etc on the head unit itself,

Second question, is there a separate amplifier in the cars with the standard audio? I.e would I need to swap more than just the head unit to hopefully sort it?

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
You might have a bad amplifier in the actual head unit that sends the power wattage or a actual amplifier in your floor or boot. I have already about water in the cabin threads here on the forum and that is a possibility.
Another is everything is fine with the stereo.
I replaced my speakers about 4 years ago. As the stock ones were pretty bad. And I did not get the expected result. I have the same alternator and everything electric sense that day I installed all that stuff.
For a long time it would work good under fade but not as a whole equal balanced system. And my tweeters seemed to be in the same situation as what you are talking about.
I did not explore the tweeter theory. Just gave myself credit for installing what I did and continued on. Was gonna double back later and try to fix it. But really sense I rebuilt my engine. Bought a couple different scan tools answered all the faults as they come up replacing parts and sensors. Garage timing the car for months only driving for test drives. Just last week took it 20 minutes away for some starbucks coffee. Turned the stereo on. And everything I worked for that day on the stereo. Started working. There was no static on any of the speakers. full range of bass. Even though I replaced it with wal mart speakers for the most part. I got the better ones.
Then I said to myself yea. It's gonna sound good. That was the day I installed all of that. Of course this is so much engine bay stuff I did. But the point is trust what you bought. Speakers are simple. Don't look so much for loose grounds see if there are any codes in your computer pertaining to other problems. Is what I would do. Even if it is a service light saying your tires are old. or oil needs to be changed. A code that just needs erased.
That's what I think my whole deal was about. And that new stereo speakers I bought; never sounded right for about 4 years. It was not the quality of the stereo system that I have noticed so much as the static is gone.
And I have the alternator.
I know it sounds crazy but that was what I think it was. The car is saying I am at optimal fuel level everything seems clear to me. No static full range bass; here you go!

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
You might have a bad amplifier in the actual head unit that sends the power wattage or a actual amplifier in your floor or boot. I have already about water in the cabin threads here on the forum and that is a possibility.
Another is everything is fine with the stereo.
I replaced my speakers about 4 years ago. As the stock ones were pretty bad. And I did not get the expected result. I have the same alternator and everything electric sense that day I installed all that stuff.
For a long time it would work good under fade but not as a whole equal balanced system. And my tweeters seemed to be in the same situation as what you are talking about.
I did not explore the tweeter theory. Just gave myself credit for installing what I did and continued on. Was gonna double back later and try to fix it. But really sense I rebuilt my engine. Bought a couple different scan tools answered all the faults as they come up replacing parts and sensors. Garage timing the car for months only driving for test drives. Just last week took it 20 minutes away for some starbucks coffee. Turned the stereo on. And everything I worked for that day on the stereo. Started working. There was no static on any of the speakers. full range of bass. Even though I replaced it with wal mart speakers for the most part. I got the better ones.
Then I said to myself yea. It's gonna sound good. That was the day I installed all of that. Of course this is so much engine bay stuff I did. But the point is trust what you bought. Speakers are simple. Don't look so much for loose grounds see if there are any codes in your computer pertaining to other problems. Is what I would do. Even if it is a service light saying your tires are old. or oil needs to be changed. A code that just needs erased.
That's what I think my whole deal was about. And that new stereo speakers I bought; never sounded right for about 4 years. It was not the quality of the stereo system that I have noticed so much as the static is gone.
And I have the alternator.
I know it sounds crazy but that was what I think it was. The car is saying I am at optimal fuel level everything seems clear to me. No static full range bass; here you go!
I'll give an example how I have to handle codes on my car now:
It's turbo charged in the operators manual it says not to let the car warm up when cold.
Over the years, I like anyone else when a code a appears would start the car and read the code. Sometimes you have to, nothing you can do about that.
After going through all the codes and fixing stuff like a crazed maniac over the last two years. finally getting resolve on it. Now when I see a code a simple one. Like the tire low light. Because I switched my 18's back to my stock tires. I REALLY THINK about how the heck I am gonna get a scanner on that while I am driving the car. and in what way I can pull up to a parking lot. After the scanner has gone through it's mess of wanting a vin number to the actual category where I can clear the code. At that point pull up to a parking spot, in that moment. Then hit erase code. Making sure the tires were aired up before any of that. Sitting around reading and waiting for codes to get erased and making the car diesel out over it.
No...my turbo charged car it was meant to get in and drive. Maybe yours is kind of like that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts