MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dash won't work unless I connect a ODBII diagnostic device. This leads me to believe there is a ground issue somewhere.
I tracked grounds to a strange long terminal on the passenger side. How do I open it without breaking what looks like very fragile plastic tabs?
Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
346 Posts
Does it have a bunch of brown wires in it?

WD-40 works pretty well for cleaning up the contacts without taking everything apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it has like a dozen brown wires going into some sort of hard foam. So I am not sure how the WD-40 could get in -- unless I find a way to open up safely that "connector". It looks like there are tabs on one side, the other almost impossible to reach though.

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
346 Posts
I’ll try to post a picture of the connector I have in mind, I don’t remember anything like a hard foam. My daughter’s Mini is a US car so who knows what may be different.

The connector I’m thinking of is attached to the side of the subframe behind the inner front wheel covers. The brown wires are all lined up in a single row, and they call it a comb connector. I found this drawing on the realOEM site.

Here’s how the car’s connector is set up, you should have +12 volts DC from pin 16 to the ground pins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts