MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW - COOPER S ALUMINIUM RADIATORS
I have posted before about the importance of removing heat from tuned engines,and the effects of hot running heads and blocks

We can now offer new aluminium radiators for the Cooper S ,using a high definition racing core, it provides 57% more cooling ,it is also all aluminium ,no plastic end tanks to split or rupture.
the radiator can run up to 30PSI pressure ,so this also allows greater pressure caps to be fitted and reduce the boiling point of the coolant (this will need new alloy header tank as the plastic originals will split!!!!
increased pressure caps also available and header tanks
PRICED at £295+vat
It makes sense to protect your engine from overheat and the consequential costs,both on a road car and a track car .
Keep your investment safe and cool this summer!!
Part number and details on site in a day or so
Adam

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Where was this when I needed a new rad last year? The end tank was splitting and squirting cooland all over the SC and serpentine belt.

Isnt the standard rad aluminium already?

Any likely any issues in winter when the temp drops?

Would you suggest an oil/water temp guages, so you know not to put your foot down until its properly warmed up? I am guessing theengine will take a lot longer to warm up.

Any pictures of it yet?

Any graphs/data to backup the claim of 57% heat reduction?

Sorry for all the questions Adam, I just had a brain dump.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The standard rad has plastic end tanks -as you now know,and they split !!! the temperature of the cooling system is controlled by the thermostat ,so winter warm up would be the same as the stock car.
Radiator cores come in different densities,much like catalytic converter cells per inch ,racing cores have a greater amount of "fins/inch" if you like -why dont manufacturers use these hi density cores?- because they cost more and are not needed on standard cars .

Radiator cores are rated in KW (kilowatts) and the type of core and the size will give you the rating for that radiator -each type of core has known figures , knowing the standard core type and size you can calculate easily the KW rating ,likewise the uprated cores.

These new Rads calculate out at 57% more cooling, graphs and data ? you dont dyno radiators:D it is much like a household radiator they produce their rated output at a standard water temp and water pressure(flow) . car water operating temps are similar ,controlled by the thermostat ,water pump pressure and flow also within fixed lower/upper limits the pressure by the rad cap and the flow by the rpm of the pump - the radiator is designed to be within these limits
rad cores are not individually made ,they come from manufacturers who design and supply cores for different applications it is they who provide the necessary data for their cores,then end tanks are made for the application you are doing ,and top/bottom hose take offs fitted ,and all fan mounts/rad mounts added,jigs made etc .
weight wise they are the same as stock .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you need I can get the flow and pressure drop,heat dissapation rate data ,but it would boring info for most people,putting a wealth of data on the website either confuses people or they switch off -if people are confused by too much data they elect to not purchase .
It takes as much effort and cost to design something correctly as it does to do it wrongly -why do it wrongly:D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a group buy I should be able to offer them at £250 +vat ,also remember that a high pressure cap may not be best on a "low pressure " header tank;)

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
if on a budget would you recomend this above an oil cooler?
i ask, as do i see my oil temps rise because my rad cannot get the heat out of the system quick enough?

if so this is my guess,

1] auto cross, tight cornering track = high engine speeds, low road speed so get oil cooler
2] the ring or autoban speeds so get radiator

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote: Originally Posted by GTT 280 (original)
I use the oem radiator and my coolant sits at 88 to 92 deg c

Mine hovers around 96 / 98 deg c

Neither of these are accurate temperatures due to the nature of the temp indicator system

·
Registered
315 Posts
re:

Temps from Scangauge :cool:
i've just ordered one of their high performance radiators, i'll be getting it fitted at lohen in a fortnight, i'll post how it went, i'll get the car dyno'd a week or so after that. presumably if there's greater cooling there'll be a performance gain? i'm running a 19% supercharger pulley at the mo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Adam

Are these a straight swap for the standard item? Are they compatible with the air con condenser radiator?

Would I need anything else? Would it make sense to swap the pipes for silicone whilst it's out?

Would the additional performance be hampered by having the air-con rad in front of it?

Is the standard capacity radiator you stock any better quality than OEM?

I have just noticed that my radiator, that I have replaced once already, is leaking again. The OEM one's only seem to last about 3 years.

Cheers

Nick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts