MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 r53 burning oil blue smoke on idle etc very slow, so head off found camshaft worn out valve stem seals also dead, blocked cat for oil burning,
the fix head off oil pump off new timing chain kit new valve stem seals all valves lapped in new high lift fast road cam decat and reduction ss pulley fitted and two new 02 sensors ,, also satin blacked the inlet and super charger and inter cooler as black deals with heat better, today put over the rolling road and got 233bhp at wheels with a nice progressive power band as well nice usable power and it goes like hell now so much fun in a little car, some pics below of what was like etc and now

Attachments

Reactions: knt

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its funny that i'm always so could prob never be at home and still have stuff i cant do lol, will add rolling road calibrations in a day or so ie where we started with it and the last run 233bhp could of increased it more on that cam if wanted but its still a old car with top end rebuild, that cam gets to 4500 revs and gets another breath totally screams to rev out point at 7400, the best bit is it now uses no oil or water and is like standing on landmine when driven on anger lol

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in fact the final run was just under 250bhp but had to peg it back a touch as its still a 2002 100.000 miles bottom end we think there was room for more revs ie un peg the rev limit to 8200 revs but would only want to do that on a forged motor and fresh rebuild completely to be safe with it, but that cam just wants more revs gets to 5k and just goes off like a turbo car ironically,, well worth doing when add the power to weight ratio

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
below pic of mini r53 on rolling road and the rolling road print out etc, notice the satin black ss and inter cooler black for go shiny for show. contact in my signature for more options on maps and mechanical and fast road cam etc,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
994 Posts
Great results mike1967 (y).

Is the power measured from crank or wheels?

What's the cost of doing a build like that with the remap?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with what this has had just over £1250 but it did have a lot of work done to it, depends on what parts someone wants as well ie if genuine or not this was done based on price and end result etc
this car had
new water pump
new thermostat and housing,
new oil cooler
new timing chain full kit
new headgasket set with stem seals head bolts
some exhaust work
new spark plus
new upstream and down stream 02 sensors
plus 5 runs on rollers,
bare in mind the camshaft was just under £260

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not sure what mods the previous owner had before you did the work and what power it made, but for that level of performance from an R53 and at that price it great what you've done and also the remap to go along with the mods.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we are not greedy and it was a job that fitted in around other stuff so done on a more of fixed price than a hourly rate, that said it was not until got it stripped that fully knew what t needed,, things like stem seals and lapping in the valve seats most garages send the head off etc, where we dont for something like that that alone saves a lot of money,, dont get me wrong if it was a job that had to be done in a few days then it would of been a lot more money,, also using after market parts saves so much money, there are a few really good engine builder company's on ebay at present that sell complete rebuild sets or can ask for individual parts etc, but some stuff is best to have genuine or febi or FAI branded,,
i got that the r56 cooper s running today sounds perfect but the turbo oil feed pipe is leaking when will i learn they all do pretty much when been disturbed so just ordered a new one form ocean bmw £54, thats going on rollers next week maybe should have part on saturday so will get sorted by monday then i need to run for a few hours on idle etc and reset it all then give it a low revs run try and put 100 miles on t before letting it loose on the rollers and see what can be got from it without killing it lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mike have you changed your job?

I haven't been on here so much lately, but you never used to talk about this type of stuff haha

Curious about 233whp on this, with just a cam? As in stock head, valves, manifold, intake, injectors etc? A custom map?

One thing I'll say is that if you haven't already I'd swap the end shells as at 100k if not already done they'll be showing a fair amount of colour on a 53.

·
Registered
930 Posts
No way is it 233 whp, crank is more likely, by my car with similar mods is 205 crank bhp,some dynos are happy.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike have you changed your job?

I haven't been on here so much lately, but you never used to talk about this type of stuff haha

Curious about 233whp on this, with just a cam? As in stock head, valves, manifold, intake, injectors etc? A custom map?

One thing I'll say is that if you haven't already I'd swap the end shells as at 100k if not already done they'll be showing a fair amount of colour on a 53.
its had top end rebuild and ends done as well its got a reduced pulley on ss decat new 02 sensors all valves were lapped in and to answer the disbeliever below yes 233bhp at wheels after 5 runs, the cam thats run is fast road stage 2 developed for 4k to8k its fairly strange one it has moved where the power cuts in ie gives a power band at top end,, the inlet and the ss and intercooler were etch primer and then used a hammerite satin black on in all ie would be surprised what gains can be found by dealing with the heat,,
we mapped a fiat abarth the other day and that has small intercoolers in the ends of bumper so were getting high run on very first hit then loosing power after that as gets hotter even with the big cooling fan on front of car, ended up using two smaller fans on the outer pods,
its funny some thought on here i was only up to speed with gen 2 mini;s i,m far beyond that lol

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No way is it 233 whp, crank is more likely, by my car with similar mods is 205 crank bhp,some dynos are happy.
stick a cam in it increase the rev out point to suit the cam without the cam no you never hit that mark. might be worth getting someone who knows what they are dong as well it helps

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just thought would add something else, the cam shaft not all performance camshafts are the same,, on the r53 tritec engine its a single cam shaft so the over lap ie scavenge effect cannot be changed unless the cam shaft is cut and produced to do so, scavenged effect help drags in now fresh air and fuel mix also the the high and oration of the cam shaft also needs to be increased compared to factory cam shaft, the camshaft fitted to this car also started to use this to the max further up the rev band,, most map company's are weary and rightly so about throwing the figures north of what they feel it will last at.. where this owner is fully aware that its a risk when running at the top of rev band and limits it to not all the time ie same old game we all do with anything thats been tuned we all know if abused it will crap its self at some point so most mappers will set a limit that they decided ie protecting them selves from comebacks etc. where the guidelines on this car was see what can be got out of it, he's been driving it daily 100 miles per day loves it and always thanks me as it always gives up a big grin when driving it except in the wet then just dangerous lol,
going back to cam used its fast road cam made by a company who have been in motorsport for past 40 years or more and when producing these cams they dont just guess what it will do they do full on development work with engines and dyno so when they advertise a 25-35 bhp increase it based on what they develop this includes where these cams need to rev at to work correctly (NO POINT FITTING A CAM THAT MAKES POWER TO 8K AND HAVE A 7K REV LIMIT) ie to maximise the overlap effect and how much fuel air that can be used,, did you know when decat a exhaust this produces a expansion area in the exhaust that effects the induction and overlap effect some engines dont like this some need it,,
also all sensors need to be new to get best results and air cleaner and fuel filter even the oil needs to be clean, also another good trick is add mollyslip to gearbox this makes it more slippery when all these little add up you get better results, even when on rolling road tyre pressures will cause drag and hurt the reading, also running one after another builds up heat in the inlet this reduces power,,

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
little update on this car its done over 1000 miles now owner told me today on one hand he loves it, but on wet days he's borderline scared of it lol guess my work here is done lol wake up call on 4 wheels, or in his words cant beat power to weight ratio..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts