MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help.
I know nothing about cars or engines, but I love my mini cooper s.
The car over heated 1 time, I pulled over and luckily I had some water in the car so topped up the coolant to find it was totally empty.
So over the next few weeks I kept an eye on the coolant level and it was slowly loosing coolant but never over heated again.
Then one day the coolant started to boil up straight away in the system so the coolant was coming out of the pressure cap on the resivoir but not so hot that the engine temperature was going up.

I tooknot to 3 garages and they all said "it's either your water pump or your head gasket, we cant say for sure without taking it apart"
So I paid a garage to change, thermostat, water pump and head gasket.
36miles later , my engine is smoking and theres a huge puddle of oily water underneath the car and coolant all over the engine bay.

Now the garage who I paid to do the work is saying it's the liners on the block that are gone.
However, I'm told by another garage that 52plate r53 mini doesnt have block liners ?

Do you guys have any idea ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
tota
I need help.
I know nothing about cars or engines, but I love my mini cooper s.
The car over heated 1 time, I pulled over and luckily I had some water in the car so topped up the coolant to find it was totally empty.
So over the next few weeks I kept an eye on the coolant level and it was slowly loosing coolant but never over heated again.
Then one day the coolant started to boil up straight away in the system so the coolant was coming out of the pressure cap on the resivoir but not so hot that the engine temperature was going up.

I tooknot to 3 garages and they all said "it's either your water pump or your head gasket, we cant say for sure without taking it apart"
So I paid a garage to change, thermostat, water pump and head gasket.
36miles later , my engine is smoking and theres a huge puddle of oily water underneath the car and coolant all over the engine bay.

Now the garage who I paid to do the work is saying it's the liners on the block that are gone.
However, I'm told by another garage that 52plate r53 mini doesnt have block liners ?

Do you guys have any idea ?

Thanks in advance
totally correct the r53 does not have wet liners, i would ask another garage to check if the head gasket looks to be a new one just to ensure they did remove the head, the head should of been pressure tested or just put a known good head on it cheapest way in long run, if oil is getting in to the coolant and water in oil then the heat exchanger on oil filter case needs changing common to leak across, £35 for new one on ebay, where abouts in uk are you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Middlesbrough, I'll let them know about the £35 heat exchanger, however it wouldn't explain why it's all over the floor and not inside the engine ? Or would it ?

Appreciate any help

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
below link the unit
when these leak they add oil to water and water to oil and can also leak to the outsides of car as such,, when do this you get a puddle under the drivers wheel and about 12 inch towards the middle of car,
just worth checking before going down the expensive road of engine change ,
below pics of a r53 i done not so long ago ie had head off ,,
IMG_20191014_114500.jpg
IMG_20191014_114513.jpg

also this link more info

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Blaming the garage when you kept driving the car with serious water loss issues is hardly fair.

I’d suspect the car was over heating (the dash gauge is not accurate and if the sensor is not in water it won’t read high) when you thought it wasn’t. Water loss needs to be found, not left to chance.

Hopefully the head can be saved and there’s no damage to the block or pistons. Otherwise a new/replacement bare engine may be needed (to fit your parts on to).

So I’m afraid to say you’ve ripped yourself off here, we all learn the hard way.

You can’t hand a garage a broken car and expect them to be liable for every thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts