MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an interesting call the other day from a MINI garage saying that I should go down and have a go in the Factory works stating that they will try to persuade me to get one. They also said that they would be able to make it cheaper per month for the newer car than I am currently paying for mine...

This obviously got me interested as I would probably save money on fuel and potentially on monthly costs in general (subject to looking into the finance options)... now my question is:

Has anyone gone from an R53 JCW (ive got an 04 210 prefacelift car) into the factory works? Is it worth the difference? Is there that much of a saving in terms of fuel efficiency (I get 35.7mpg average on my JCW at the moment)? And will I miss all the extras I have on my car (JCW: Seats front and rear, strut brace, shift lights, handbrake, gear knob, R95's, CF scoop/wing mirrors and tailgate trim) as I think it will probably cost loads to get an equivalent spec car....

So in short: Should I trade in my 2004 210 R53 JCW for the factory works?

Advice/comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your input.

Keano;)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Don't do it, you'll never be able to get such a great MINI again with that lovely supercharger whine;)

But they'll be making things like the new factory JCW for ages to come.

·
24hr
248 Posts
Why not go for a test drive in the new Works and see what you think ?
A little test drive can't hurt can it ? :smile:

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not go for a test drive in the new Works and see what you think ?
A little test drive can't hurt can it ? :smile:

Good call!! I have has a short sprint in one a couple of weeks back.... My first thoughts were that it was fast (but didnt feel faster than my JCW) that the brakes were awesome (alot better than mine!) and that the ride was better (mine is on 40mm eibachs with 18s) which was very appealing! However the main point (as has been brought up by Rakey and Posts001) were that I would miss the whine and that the spec would be lower than I currently have but there is scope to potentially save a bit of money in payments and running costs...

BUT is it going to be worth it????

Has anyone made the change from R53 JCW to Factory works?

I need to have a longer go in the Factory car to see what any real benefits might be and to see how much I would miss the SC... The SC is just soo good for lazy driving but, overall is the Factory car worth making a change?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Good call!! I have has a short sprint in one a couple of weeks back.... My first thoughts were that it was fast (but didnt feel faster than my JCW) that the brakes were awesome (alot better than mine!) and that the ride was better (mine is on 40mm eibachs with 18s) which was very appealing! However the main point (as has been brought up by Rakey and Posts001) were that I would miss the whine and that the spec would be lower than I currently have but there is scope to potentially save a bit of money in payments and running costs...

BUT is it going to be worth it????

Has anyone made the change from R53 JCW to Factory works?

I need to have a longer go in the Factory car to see what any real benefits might be and to see how much I would miss the SC... The SC is just soo good for lazy driving but, overall is the Factory car worth making a change?
I drove it, but didn't make the swap, decided that it wasn't a patch on the GP or really that hugely better than the standard R56 MCS to warrant an early trade in.

Yes its fast, yes its fun, but its just not got the full on grin factor as the old JCW's IMO;)

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
You might be paying less per month, but you'll be paying out for a lot longer. Changing is *definately* not going to save you a penny.

Though for my money, the new exhaust sounds a lot better than the "whine". All of these fans of the supercharger whine haven't heard a *proper* Mini whine - the screaming noise emitted by the original Mini Coopers (especially with a straight cut box). Lord, mine used to leave me almost deaf after a long run at high speed. The supercharger barely emits a whisper compared to that!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
You might be paying less per month, but you'll be paying out for a lot longer. Changing is *definately* not going to save you a penny.

Though for my money, the new exhaust sounds a lot better than the "whine". All of these fans of the supercharger whine haven't heard a *proper* Mini whine - the screaming noise emitted by the original Mini Coopers (especially with a straight cut box). Lord, mine used to leave me almost deaf after a long run at high speed. The supercharger barely emits a whisper compared to that!
Errr, I have, got a rather tasty exhaust on my RSP Cooper, its enough to make your ears bleed driving it for long journeys or anything on a motorway;)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on how you structure the finance which decides if I will be able to save money or not, not going to be paying for any longer than my current agreement as I intend to come out of the MINI in 2 years time either way...

The exhaust did sound good - when moving around a car park for instance it was very cool, plenty of popping too! ALthough I thought that when higher in the revs the sound wasnt as good as the R53 exhaust note plus the R53 has the enhanced wine when the flap opens in the higher revs - very good noise :)

Must admit that I thought that there would be loads of people saying how great the new car is... Maybe it is saying something that noone is saying to make the change!!!!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
The new JCW is a great car, and if I was ordering an R56 tomorrow it would probably be the one I'd order, but its just not got that draw to make me ditch the R53 for it, or to loose a chunk of cash and trade in the R56 MCS.

Its just not a 'special' MINI IMO;)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new JCW is a great car, and if I was ordering an R56 tomorrow it would probably be the one I'd order, but its just not got that draw to make me ditch the R53 for it, or to loose a chunk of cash and trade in the R56 MCS.

Its just not a 'special' MINI IMO;)
If I already had an R56 I wouldnt trade it in for one but from an R53 there is more of a case... however I just dont know if the Factory works is better than the R53 JCW... I took my car for a spin round the lanes last night and it is just so balanced and because of the SC you can leave it in gear and just be lazy when pulling out of bends - will the R56 have the same feeling or will you need to work it more?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
If I already had an R56 I wouldnt trade it in for one but from an R53 there is more of a case... however I just dont know if the Factory works is better than the R53 JCW... I took my car for a spin round the lanes last night and it is just so balanced and because of the SC you can leave it in gear and just be lazy when pulling out of bends - will the R56 have the same feeling or will you need to work it more?
I found the R56 JCW to be even better for lazy driving, as the pull was there all way through the revs when you wanted it to be. But to be honest the only difference between the JCW and the standard MCS was that it travelled through the top revs more progressively than the MCS where you know when you need to change up a gear. The JCW just went all the way to the limiter and you realise you should have changed up sooner:p

But the balance of the old JCW and sound just win for me hands down over it.

Yes the R56 is probably better on fuel, road tax, but if saving money is what the main reason for change is then get a diesel I say;)

You've got a great MINI as it is, stick with it;)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found the R56 JCW to be even better for lazy driving, as the pull was there all way through the revs when you wanted it to be. But to be honest the only difference between the JCW and the standard MCS was that it travelled through the top revs more progressively than the MCS where you know when you need to change up a gear. The JCW just went all the way to the limiter and you realise you should have changed up sooner:p

But the balance of the old JCW and sound just win for me hands down over it.

Yes the R56 is probably better on fuel, road tax, but if saving money is what the main reason for change is then get a diesel I say;)

You've got a great MINI as it is, stick with it;)
Not gonna get a diesel - dont do enough miles. Did some numbers a while ago and found that it would take me about 2 years to get back on fuel savings the extra I paid for getting a diesel in this first place (obviously this was based on my mileage and that particular car).

The R56 cars seem to have a deeper exhaust note than the R53 which is very appealing - need to take the R56 through some tunnels to compared it to the R53 - the R53 just needs to be a touch louder/deeper (maybe get the JCM exhaust as an upgrade to help with that!!!??)

Would it be better perhaps then to get a few perfomance upgrades for my R53 rather than get the R56 JCW ? Perhaps that may be a cheaper / less hassle way of stopping me wanting something new??

It seems like there isnt anyone who would swap in their R53 JCW for an R56 JCW...

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts

Hi Keano

there is no need to worry about leaving the works in say 6th and stepping on the gas to get going the new works loves this very often I am down to say 30-35mph and it gets up and goes no worries. :biggrin:

WD

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your input WD.

I take it lag isnt much of a problem with the larger turbo on the factory car then?

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
I also own a 04 pre-facelift 210 JCW and still love it. I have not driven the new Factory Works but from all counts it seems like a seriously good car. Do not however be lured into lower payments and better fuel economy (the dealer is definitely only doing themselves a favour)- calculate what you have lost in capital already and how much more you will loose in upgrading and you will be shocked. You will also loose most of the value of the nice bits you added and as you say speccin up to what you have now will loose you even more money. A next owner will be very glad to purchase your current car! Agreed with everyone that if I did not have a R53 I would most probably have bought the new one (BUT I may still have been lured to a late 05/06 JCW with a good spec). Personally I still prefer the styling of the R53, the R56 has still not grown on me. IMHO - keep what you have, enjoy it, maintain it well and maybe pursue some tasty performance bits! On virtually any car you loose a lot through deprecation - just ask yourself if the calculated cost of upgrading will result in a similar % increase in fun you are now having?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts