MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just recently got my hands on a R53 JCW which I love. What I dont like is that there is no radio at all.

It has a HK system from factory, plays the most amazing sound via bluetooth or usb but there is no radio via the a Sony headunit.

Selecting the preset stations - nothing. Try searching and it just goes round in circles.

There is no noise, no interference noise etc.

Ive checked the rear of the unit and the Ariel is plugged in. Had a look at the ariel via the headlining cover and all appears present and attached.

Any ideas?

Been searching the net for weeks without an answer

Cheers

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Agree with k3fus.
I've no idea why the radio isn't working.
But they have a 'Diversity Unit' in the hatch/tailgate, behind the trim, which can fail. From Pelican Parts - "The antenna amplifier/diversity module is located on the rear hatch beneath the rear window."

The standard Boost head unit is designed to work with/be integrated with the amp and the very low impedance HK speakers and specific wiring arrangements.

With the Sony head unit are you able to access and set the variuos 'modes' the HK offers? Which to a large extent is what the HK is all about.
See this detailed explanation of what I'm talking about.
The MINI Harman Kardon Stereo System

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Agree with k3fus.
I've no idea why the radio isn't working.
But they have a 'Diversity Unit' in the hatch/tailgate, behind the trim, which can fail. From Pelican Parts - "The antenna amplifier/diversity module is located on the rear hatch beneath the rear window."

The standard Boost head unit is designed to work with/be integrated with the amp and the very low impedance HK speakers and specific wiring arrangements.

With the Sony head unit are you able to access and set the variuos 'modes' the HK offers? Which to a large extent is what the HK is all about.
See this detailed explanation of what I'm talking about.
The MINI Harman Kardon Stereo System
It is also fairly common that adaptors sold to wire in other head units leave out the power feed to the antenna amplifier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry folks, didn't realise I had replies.

The problem is solved and you'll love the fix. Prepare to laugh

Took it to Halfords the other day, and it turns out that the Sony automatically set itself to DAB, even though there is no DAB antenna, and furthermore it didnt even say it was trying to find DAB.

A press of a button had it on the right track searching for FM

How stupid I feel haha

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Sorry folks, didn't realise I had replies.

The problem is solved and you'll love the fix. Prepare to laugh

Took it to Halfords the other day, and it turns out that the Sony automatically set itself to DAB, even though there is no DAB antenna, and furthermore it didnt even say it was trying to find DAB.

A press of a button had it on the right track searching for FM

How stupid I feel haha
You aren't stupid, you had the sense to let us know what the solution is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts