MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Ahaha don't think it'll be that long 馃槀 hopefully will be sold by mid Feb latest
i've had a couple myself in the past fun cars standard even better with a turbo and and bigger injectors and mod'd ecu that can bring it all together 300bhp possible, also possible to mount super charger on them then are borderline dangerous in the wrong hands,, but such a good car to steer with the right foot on and off throttle lol, remember where cars were mostly rear wheel drive so much more fun than front wheel drive rubbish,, found a company who done soft top roofs for 拢300 and just fix your old rail rail to it etc, mazda made a winner then day they started to copy lotus,, and add power to it no mini will catch it for the money

Registered
if have deep pockets below link

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
If the opportunity arises to grab another mx5 in the future I probably will but Im selling mine for the mini as I just get bored too easily 馃槀 I'll probably sell the mini into a year of owning it too but that's how I am. Mini as a daily then mx5 as a weekend toy is essentially what I'll be doing but to start off the current mx5 needs to go. To free up the funds and a 3 grand turbo conversion is hefty for me. Even with the mini I'd be looking to do one thing at a time so for example one week I'll fit the intercooler then the week after I'll fit the intake system then supercharger pulley, spark plugs and remap all done in one I've tried to kind of plan it out 馃槀 I hope this makes sense I feel like you probably won't agree with it because in the end it probably would be cheaper overall to just keep the mx5 but its too unpractical at least I can fit a seatbox and pole in a mini r53 for my weekend fishing (I have tested this)

Registered
its possible to turbo charge them a lot cheaper than those kits, use a early garret turbo that uses its own vac control on it ie get lag at bottom but boost like hell when on charge, can fits different injectors and map the factory ecu to match at end of day its just compressed air feed and fuel

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Hmm what about buying second hand? Is there specific turbos as well that you can use like named that you can bolt on? And what is ease of fit like so for example could a dummy like me fit one now I'm just trying to know for future knowledge

Registered
need a welder and exhaust pipe work and inlet pipe work and some way of cutting the metal for a start , then once all fitted on to the car then its rolling road and know how on how to get it all to work and fuel correctly and to pass mot emissions for that year of car etc, anything can be done just takes money and time and fill in the gaps with others who know how as such,

Registered
there have been a few Mini owners fitting what're called 'hobo' turbo conversions, once you know what parts are called and the minimums you need it would start off seeming complex but once committed to finding and stock piling what you need you may well fins it's not too expensive or daunting.

You will have some time off the road but people have done these swaps in a few days.

I have a turbo kit here for the R53 which is one of those although not actually cheap because the guy bought some good bits, the turbo manifold and adapter looks a bit rough (if looking) and the inlet manifold slightly, plus a compromise on the intercooler and radiator assembly where it's mounted to the front crash beam but the guy wanted to retain A/C which he did, and that's what I've always had in mind where others say it's impossible, overall it looked good under the bonnet of his if from a distance but I think a bit over 300 wheel HP.

Worth considering, and there'd be no better way to get to know and more importantly, understand your own car. I've never been into turbo, or supercharged conversions but just interested since I read about options for my 968. I like N/A cars tuned, but am a biker anyway so I can take one of those out if I want to hear a tuned engine haha, but I will install the turbo sometime I think.

I've had a couple of people wanting to buy it off me because it's apparently a good kit, I did consider fitting it to the R53 I have for sale as a built car haha, the mad thing is people would buy it at 8k plus just because it's done. The guy was a Greek living in Germany, he only sold it because he couldn't quite get it through their TUV system. Came with a standalone too but doesn't need one as for Mini or at least the R53 there is tuning software than can be loaded onto the stock ECU which can be mapped even by the owner, I have it on one car. A company called GP Garage.it have also done a kit for the Mini which is designed to be run off the same.

so now you have an option in your mind haha, turbo MX5, once you've done that, doing it to the Mini you get will be a breeze 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like I'm gonna have to build some funds up then and just have both the mini and the mx5 I might have to sell my mx5 and get a cheaper one though providing the sills and chassis rails are okay anything else I think I can deal with as mx5 have such a large engine bay to work on. Then from there I guess the sky is the limit with both cars aha

Registered
one of my pals put a 6 speed in his MX5 instead of the 5 which made a huge difference on track, I have kits to lower the final drive on the R53's or full gear conversions, similar to the sort of things we did on the classics decades ago they make the same difference now on the modern over geared cars which are all about NVH and efficiency etc. I remember being in his car several times on track, I don't think I could have an MX5 at 6'3" I'm a bit big for them but it was genuinely a fun thing as he went barrelling through turns in control and just caught stuff he had no right to haha, quite like the Mini in terms of fun, just different fun ;O)

Registered
Looks like I'm gonna have to build some funds up then and just have both the mini and the mx5 I might have to sell my mx5 and get a cheaper one though providing the sills and chassis rails are okay anything else I think I can deal with as mx5 have such a large engine bay to work on. Then from there I guess the sky is the limit with both cars aha
its all prices of parts that add up they rolling road time as well and only a plum would spend so much cash on the engine and not have it set up right and when its something with different cams and ecu's etc its never just 2 runs its always most of the morning at least to get the best from it and to make it pass a mot test on fast idle etc, my r56 last week had 7 runs , that r53 i done a few months ago was most of the morning as the cam shaft was fast road and needed more care getting revs right at top and where it fuels etc ie dont want melt downs and dont want pinking etc,, we always stick them on mot tester for exhaust outputs as well makes life easy when going for mot when fuelling is trimmed at fast idle where the test is,, also not all mapper are the same the guy i use he's just one of those people he sees what what he wants in his head before as such,, most mapper aim at bhp and think torque is a bi-product, this guy sees it the other way around its best to have low down torque where we all drive,, my cooper s i can honestly say it drives more like a r53 until hit 4k then it just screams to limiter still bedding it in so trying not to hurt, i've had a lot of these cars over the years and lost count the amount i have driven and had mapped ones as well,, but the guy at black magic just hits them bang on the head every time, the difference is he is a car mechanic and knows engines rebuilds engines etc where a lot of mapping company's are just about pulling file off a ecu and writing a generic back in and collecting money for it with limited mechanical know how,,

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
its all prices of parts that add up they rolling road time as well and only a plum would spend so much cash on the engine and not have it set up right and when its something with different cams and ecu's etc its never just 2 runs its always most of the morning at least to get the best from it and to make it pass a mot test on fast idle etc, my r56 last week had 7 runs , that r53 i done a few months ago was most of the morning as the cam shaft was fast road and needed more care getting revs right at top and where it fuels etc ie dont want melt downs and dont want pinking etc,, we always stick them on mot tester for exhaust outputs as well makes life easy when going for mot when fuelling is trimmed at fast idle where the test is,, also not all mapper are the same the guy i use he's just one of those people he sees what what he wants in his head before as such,, most mapper aim at bhp and think torque is a bi-product, this guy sees it the other way around its best to have low down torque where we all drive,, my cooper s i can honestly say it drives more like a r53 until hit 4k then it just screams to limiter still bedding it in so trying not to hurt, i've had a lot of these cars over the years and lost count the amount i have driven and had mapped ones as well,, but the guy at black magic just hits them bang on the head every time, the difference is he is a car mechanic and knows engines rebuilds engines etc where a lot of mapping company's are just about pulling file off a ecu and writing a generic back in and collecting money for it with limited mechanical know how,,
Where about is the guy you use based? As I'm in West Midlands so might be too far to get too but also would I need to map it after an intercooler intake and reduced pulley? I've seen many people saying there's no point until you've got the cam done but I'm not all that convinced myself

21 - 31 of 31 Posts