MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My brother got a used R53 in pretty good shape overall. Everyhting works as intended except for the cluster lights. We started disassembling and found some burnt cables along the way. It seems this car had a big short and it damaged the lighting cables. We replaced the cables but still no lights.

Checking the voltage on the lights cable line (pin 14 of the speedo) we had 0V so something was wrong with the speedometer.
Disassembled the speedo and found a burnt transistor, the one that connects to pin 14.

The one in question is the transistor TR11 the one that sits next to the pin connector.

Does anyone know what type of transistor is it so I can get a replacement? Because mine is blown and I'm not able to see the specs.

If someone has a picture of a R50/53 speedo electronics so I can check the transistor code, that would be of much help too. I couldn't find anything online, not even a single picture of the board.

Here are some pictures of mine

Thanks!!

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic component Computer hardware Electronic engineering

Circuit component Circle Font Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

· Registered
86 Posts
It's a FET in a D2PAK with the gate on pin 2. There are probably lots of parts would work but getting the rest of the Bxxxx text would make life easier.
If you can't get that, the next step is to figure out if it's N or P type.
Probably the next step is to remove the old part and measure the voltage on the pads, we can figure it out from there.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a FET in a D2PAK with the gate on pin 2. There are probably lots of parts would work but getting the rest of the Bxxxx text would make life easier.
If you can't get that, the next step is to figure out if it's N or P type.
Probably the next step is to remove the old part and measure the voltage on the pads, we can figure it out from there.
THanks for your response. Yes I need to get that Bxxx to get the exact specs.
What I found so far is this from a youtube video but its too blurry. I'm trying to guess the numbers while looking up on mouser to see if something comes up.

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Bumper Machine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts