MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. Thought I would start a new threat. 05 mini cooper s jumped timing and as im trying to align everything to replace the chain, Im having trouble finding out where markings have to be. I cant get the arrow on the cam sprocket to match with the 1 dark link on the chain and the crank to match with the 2 dark links all while at TDC. I tried putting 4 straws in and when ever the dark link matches the arrow on the cam the straw on 1st cylinder is all the way down while cyl 3 &4 are up. How can I do this? How can I get them to align?

· Registered
8 Posts
I am exactly in the same situation. Unsure how to time it back.

Should i keep the Cyl#1 at TDC(making sure the crank sprocket makers are at roughly the guide positions i have seen in other posts which is about 4-5 O'clock)and loosen the chain on the cam sprocket and rotate the cam sprocket so that it fits camshaft alignment tool.

or two make sure all cylinders are level while making sure sure again the crank markers are at again around the same position as mentioned above and reset the cam position by loosening the chain and resetting.

Bentley manual says that as long as the three markers line up the rest of it is irrelevant, but nowhere have i come across a jumped timing situation.

please help.

requesting mods and any techs out there to shed some light if possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.