MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read quite a few opinions that the best bang for my buck (£5-7k ish) would be an R53. I think the reasons given being that the R56 had some engine issues that we're a pain so represent a risk.

I also know only the R53 had the original supercharged engine.

However, I see some later plate JCWs that are in budget and are clearly R56 or R57s on Auto trader that just look so much better value for money.

Why does the R53 still seem to keep its value and sometimes level peg or out gun the later models? Is it just the cachet of owning a first gen JCW and/ or the aforementioned engine issues?

For example, why would I pay £6k for an R53 with 70k on the clock when I see a well specced R56 or R57 on an 08 or 09 plate for similar cash?

Assumption being here that the models I'm interested in are all factory engine fitted JCWs or at least have paperwork proving same. I'm not talking about boy racers who've fitted a few spoilers and badges themselves.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The R53's are far superior cars hence why they hold their value and are now becoming more expensive than the piles of shtye that replaced them. There's just far too many problems with the second generation cars and they aren't worth owning unless they are diesel as the dervs just run and run

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I can only speak from a personal perspective.
I have an late 2013, low mileage, (21000 miles) R56 JCW and it's been fantastic. :D

I've had it nearly two years and it's been a great car.
Admittedly, I do always look after my vehicles, changing the oil every 12 months/5000 miles.
However, it's a JCW, so I do drive it enthusiastically occasionally. (don't want to see blue lights in my rear view mirror)

Buy what you fancy, I don't regret buying my R56 JCW for a second.

·
Registered
109 Posts
R53 facelift models are the best in my view, still retains a Mini identity and fun factor we all love about Mini's. Anything after that has just become too big and dull and no longer got the special appeal to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R53 facelift models are the best in my view, still retains a Mini identity and fun factor we all love about Mini's. Anything after that has just become too big and dull and no longer a got the special appeal to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts