MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've searched the forum for an answer but I can't find it in any previous posts.

I'm trying to fit a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels onto our R55 Clubman, which has the later M14x1.25 wheel bolts and McGards type OE locking wheel bolt.

Whilst the standard bolts fit the wheels fine, unfortunately the key for the OE locking wheel bolt will not fit deep enough into the counterbore in the wheel to allow the locking bolt to be tightened. The key has a sleeve that goes over the outside of the wheel bolt and it is this that is too long to allow it to work.

McGards do not even list an M14x1.25 in either of their ranges and searching online I cannot find any other alternative M14x1.25 locking bolts. The wheels came secondhand with a full set of bolts and McGards but unfortunately these are the earlier M12 type.

Before I put my locking wheel key on a lathe to shorten it(!) has anyone sucessfully fitted the TD Pro Race wheels to their R56 or R55 (or late R53 MCS/GP) and if so what locking wheel bolts have you used?

Many Thanks

Chris

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, problem now solved by taking a hacksaw to the locking wheel bolt key so that it fits the TD rims.

For anyone else looking to do this, I had to take a good 3mm off the end of the tubular sleeve of the tool. The outer part of the tool is not very hard so a junior hacksaw made light work of it, otherwise I would have taken it to work to be put on a lathe.

Wheels now fitted:

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts