MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oi luvs moi R53
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bit of a worn theme - but this is slightly different. My 2006 R53 came with luvvly jubbly R98 webspokes. Treated 'em like bone china - soft cloths and tooth brush, no nasty chemicals. Imagine my disappointment when the outer rims went scabby (from the inside out) over this last winter. Main dealer said 'yeah, they do that - we'll get you some new ones under warrantee' I asked what the problem was. Answer: ? different metal composition of outer rim to centre insert = different rates of expansion/contraction with temp. changes = friction = lacquer damaged = corrosion under lacquer. I asked if the problem had been sorted. Not to the dealer's knowledge. In that case, much as I think the composite wheels are perdy, I don't want another set that'll do the same within 2 years.
Spotted the R108s - new for the R55/56. Thought: they'll do, quite nice and easier to keep clean. M/D said 'not listed for the R53'. I'm stood there looking at a 2007 R56 wearing R98 webspokes with identical tyres to my R53 - WTF? Surely, if an R56 can wear my wheels, then my R53 can wear R55/56 wheels?! MINI UK said 'no technical reason why R108 not listed for R53, but it hasn't been tested and is therefore not recommended'. What's the problem? Will my 2006 Dunlop runflats fit R108 rims? The stud holes look the same. The rim is a 17 x 7J - same as the R98. If someone could give me a well-reasoned explanation as to why I can't have R108s on my motor I'd accept it. Can't accept these fob offs by people who don't know their arse from their elbow - and aren't willing to put me on to someone who does! Bl**dy frustrating!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts