MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Ahh, no. Supermarine is a pace kind of local to me.

Its where the UK Honda plant is.

Apologies if we got our wires crossed.

I actually live between the Honda plant in swindon and the BMW MINI plant in Oxford.

In fact I served my apprenticeship there so am very familiar with that site...!!!
gotcha so will know all the above then and realise its all in the putting back together ie if looks right it tend to be right, ie no grab on the crank etc,, like said before these engines are same as 2006-2009 207 gti and the 207gt engines, they also put same in 308 gti and gt as well as citroen c3 c4 and even in grand Picasso , find a breaking one of these and make a silly offer for engine and is another sure way around things ,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mike I don't know what to say!
You are complete legend.

Would you mind of I look for a suitable replacement and if I find something then I send you the link for approval?

I understand if not.

Cameron

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
yes thats fine bud if i find anything will poke it your way likewise, i'm off work at mo after a op so bored and meant to be sofa bound for for a few weeks , strange feeling when have not stopped all my life so sat here so bored

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
these car are same as
i would message them ask about the engines get a price then haggle them

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey Mike, after many weeks of waiting for the garage to deal with the Mini I have decided to do it my self. Unfortunately the owner simply didn't have time to deal with such a long job on his own as his workshop was inundated due to the fact the the guy he employs doesn't appear to understand following the working week like the rest of us!!
Anyway, I have relieved John of said Mini and I now have it on the driveway with the engine now stripped down so I can see the part number of the crank ladder - V753355680 - and must start looking for a replacement.
Obviously the head is sorted, I have new piston rings and new big ends and crank bearings to fit but I need to find the matching part to this number yet I can only seem to see it for exorbitant prices listed on the eBay.COM website as opposed to ours.

Would you happen to have any idea as to why this is?

Once again, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Now I hope you are on the mend and feeling a little less restless as the last few weeks have passed by.....

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Cameron

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
i got a couple of bottom ends from 2007-2009 copper engine n12 16b so 1.6 engines , got a feeling the bottom ends are the same as the n14 turbo bottom ends less the pistons and rods as turbo engines have different shape crowns to pistons, i know for sure that all the crankshaft bearings are the same as the piston rings , i know the timing chains and oil pumps are all the same and sit same place , i also know the mains and conrod bolts are all the same parts ,, going by this would indicate most things are the same, and the only punt is the line boring and whether there might be a difference in that to the block and base plate, that said i still stand by the fact theses engine were made in same factory and car makers like making one part fit may things just in case in future they want to up date things etc, how far away from devon cornwall border are you , was thinking i have a bottom end all complete for the n12 16b sat in workshop you would need to change the pistons and rods for sure, came out of mini cooper 1.6 that had cracked head had good oil pressure , if not to far away you could come grad for £100 if it help you out, i was going to wait for bottom damaged car to refresh it and use it as such, or if you want to arrange a pallet collection can do that as well,
i'm getting there after op still got a bit of nerve damage that is taking its time to calm down but getting there, first time since left school i've been off work and not far off house bound stirrr crazy grrrr,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply and offer.

You are a ways away from me to be fair as I'm up in Oxford!
What I don't understand and maybe you can shed some light on it is why if the bottom ends are all the same, we have different part numbers for the ladders/cradles?

I can find plenty of the crank cradles that are listed for N12 and N16 but nothing for mine and I'm mindful as to why the numbers are different.

I really appreciate your help on this, Mike, I really do.

Cameron

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
as far as i'm aware the number gets laser cut at point of bedplate being added to a engine at factory, like said before they share parts between the two to keep production costs down so chances are they are same part , but thats your gamble, like said before if were me in that position and cant find a n14 engine to get one off I would offer one up and see what I got,, bare in mind that all the bearings are same for all n14 and n12 16b 1,6 vti engines as is the psa engines out of thp and gti and gt 207 and 308 same years as your car are all the same bearing and sizes and cranks, just rod and pistons are different, between turbo and non turbo engines even the piston rings are same 77.0mm std ,, you have answered your own question as you have doubt its worth a try so best to find a n14 bottom end complete and remove all that concern moving forward,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey Mike, this gets more bizarre by the minute.
I now have a part number of V7 578 994 80 that has been taken off of an N14B16 engine!
This is NOT what my engine reckons is going on!!
I am totally confused!

So do you reckon I could use one of the Crank Holders you have along with new rings and pistons and keep my original short block?

Where are you based?

Its all so bloody annoyingly difficult and this car has been fighting me since the 22nd of February!!

I just need a break and something to go right!!

Cameron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

This is on eBay mind you so not sure......

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
you know as much as what i do at this stage of what might fit and might not, i say 95% sure the base plates are same going by like I say all bearings are same through all 1.6 engines or that age and same as psa 1.6vti and thp engines ,,
its funny a few years ago i had a shall we say a nearly heated chat on here with someone telling me that the psa engine were different to mini totally and he said cranks were different and dont fit,, trouble for him by this point I had already fitted well 30 psa engines in to mini's that all worked and fitted,, and proved it to him as well has some pics of couple i had done ,, to then get told he only heard on a forum that it cant be done and the person of that forum said the part numbers dont match up,, dont take to many brain cells to work out two car makers share engines but have their own part numbers for their own systems , ironically when people with the psa engines fitted have ordered parts after the change only give car reg number and still get the correct parts for that car, i also believe the blocks and bed plate could very well be line bored but even then would be identical to the next engine line bored as these machines work on 0.0.02mm or even tighter anyway,, when years ago the tolerances were a lot more and would prob be different.
that thp engine for £395 most likely needs a rebuild or i should say i would refresh it , new big ends leave the mains ir big ends are all still silver and no visible wear, new rings and valve stem seals and relap valve seats as that will most likely be the misfire, new chain kit, would also try to get it for £150 thats what i pay for broken engine from my local breaker guy for bare engine ,, like said i have a base plate from a n12 16b mini cooper 2008 , can have it for £80 plus the postage , but its you punt if dont fit that said i sort of know it should,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey Mike, as you say it's worth a punt for sure.
If you do have a contact is there any chance you could ask if he has a CS N14 available? Obviously as I only need the basic part, it won't matter how bad the engine is.
I already have a refurbished head, a block, pistons and crank that are all in tip top order (I will change the rings, the big ends and the crank bearings all of which I already have) I also have a new flywheel and clutch kit so I'm not scrimping anywhere, I just need that bloody cradle!!!
Just a thought.
If not I will go with your deal of £85 but I would probably collect to save you from the hassle of getting it sent etc, and given your current health it would probably be for the best although that said, I gave myself a hernia in my lower abdomen on Monday. Blowing my nose whilst laying in bed..... I mean, WTF!!!

Anyway
Where abouts do you live?

Cameron

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Hey Mike, as you say it's worth a punt for sure.
If you do have a contact is there any chance you could ask if he has a CS N14 available? Obviously as I only need the basic part, it won't matter how bad the engine is.
I already have a refurbished head, a block, pistons and crank that are all in tip top order (I will change the rings, the big ends and the crank bearings all of which I already have) I also have a new flywheel and clutch kit so I'm not scrimping anywhere, I just need that bloody cradle!!!
Just a thought.
If not I will go with your deal of £85 but I would probably collect to save you from the hassle of getting it sent etc, and given your current health it would probably be for the best although that said, I gave myself a hernia in my lower abdomen on Monday. Blowing my nose whilst laying in bed..... I mean, WTF!!!

Anyway
Where abouts do you live?

Cameron
i'll private message you

·
Registered
913 Posts
be cautious buying a spares motor known to have a misfire as the tops of the cylinders can be cracked, only buy them if stripped really

I have a block and ladder from N14B16A but will build them usually, hence it has a value perhaps more than some would perceive, if you're stuck it's there at least for a few days until it goes to the machine shop, it would want to go to the next size, crank can be included but that definitely wants a grind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That is very kind but I think Mike and I have hopefully come to a solution so fingers crossed.
If it doesn't work however I will know with three or four days so will be straight onto you!

Many thanks again

Cameron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Mike, just to say the crank cradle turned up at around 3pm, looks good so I will give it a go for fitting tomorrow.

If I have any difficulty in determining if its the correct fit, I will contact you for some help.

Cheers

Cameron

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
yes thats cool glad it turned up in the end bloody dpd at least UPS do a good job lol, remember the mains have oil holes in the ones that locate to the block side of journals, must match up to holes for oil feeds, i know its very much in your face anyway but i have seen people forget before and end up with damaged crank, also dont forget the trust plates and flat side block side, also pays to hit the base plate after nipping the bolts up by hand etc

21 - 40 of 64 Posts