MINI Cooper Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike, thanks for that.
I shall try the ecu thing once I have recharged the battery overnight. I can’t see it being fuel because the smell of fuel is quite pronounced.
it seems to want to catch but nothing yet.
also, something else I have noticed is a kind of scraping noise.
I would hope to god there isn’t anything wrong with the bottom end and that the oil pump is working.
to say I am utterly destroyed and fed up would be an understatement.
I shall let you know on the Ecu’s tomorrow and maybe a diagnostic

·
Registered
913 Posts
any hint of noise like that is a cue to go back and look at timing, and rotation of the motor by hand with plugs removed imo, get a feel for things that way?

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Hi Mike, thanks for that.
I shall try the ecu thing once I have recharged the battery overnight. I can’t see it being fuel because the smell of fuel is quite pronounced.
it seems to want to catch but nothing yet.
also, something else I have noticed is a kind of scraping noise.
I would hope to god there isn’t anything wrong with the bottom end and that the oil pump is working.
to say I am utterly destroyed and fed up would be an understatement.
I shall let you know on the Ecu’s tomorrow and maybe a diagnostic
as you have fuel smell would guess its a timing issue, as for oil pump if oil pump was at fault it still would start i have them with broken oil pump chain before and still and run, pull the plug , one thought timing chain side guides they have a special way to interlock where you rotate them while pushing them together at same time to hold them together on its centre pivot point ,, i have at this point before come undone and throw timing also sound all wrong, ,, would pull rocker cover off crank engine see what oil you get to top of motor

61 - 64 of 64 Posts