MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've got a '08 Clubman with the HiFi system and I'm working on adding an external subwoofer to it. I think the HiFi system is alright for audio volume and quality, but lacking in powerful bass (just like every BMW I've owned). I've got a fair grasp of how to proceed with building the enclosure and wiring everything up on the "business end". I'd post pictures but the forum software won't let me.

My current dilemma is how I'll get signal out from the factory head unit (MINI Boost) or the HiFi system amplifier (whichever is easier to get to). I've been unable to find any wiring schematics or pinouts for the Boost on the web. I assume it's the same for all 2nd gen MINIs, but where to find it?

What I need to get are simply the left and right channels for the rear speakers (or line out, but I guess that's nigh impossible) and a generic "amplifier remote" signal. I've got a hi/low-level transformer for getting something resembling line out from the high level speaker outputs.

I came across the "Stereo Upgrade Loom for R56" at NewMiniStuff which looks really promising - it claims to provide rear speaker output and the amplifier remote, which is just what I need. However, the description says R56, and no mention of which stereo options it's compatible with. Can somebody clue me in?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's hope so. I also mailed him - didn't realize he used the forums as well. (doh)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
You have to either clip the audio cables from the rear speakers, or get into the sterio and clip the wires there with a high level input into the amp.

or use one of mikey's looms :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
or use one of mikey's looms :)
Yeah, the loom is my current hope, though nobody's been able to tell me as of yet whether it has something R56-specific about it or if it will work just fine in an R55 as well.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
I think the R55 and the R56 are pretty similar? Best option is to wait and see what Mikey says, he's the expert :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a mail back from Mike:
Yes my loom will fit
:nice:

I also asked him whether the front or rear speaker signals are better for connecting the sub:
Some people use the front as they prefare to fade towards the front so rear are just fill so the sub would come up with the fronts
Myself - my car I use the rear & then I use the fader to adjust the vlume of the sub
Rear it is. Thanks Mike! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts