MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really fancy some R105's without run flats. My 57 plate MCS has 17" crown alloys and sports suspension and I am more than happy with the ride.
1) Firstly the R105s are 10.6kg but I assume that non run flat tyres would be lighter, does anyone know of the relative overal wheel and tyre weight diffences are between 17s with RF and 18s without RF.
2) Wheres the best place to get R105s and what is a good price.
3) I seem to recall that the Geometry needs adjusting for 18s and a lock limiter put on, does anyone know the revised geo?
4) What is generally regarded as the best tyre for the 18s? Again I think some have 215/35/18 and some 205/40/18.
I have seen the the r105s on alloy wheels direct for £746 excluding tyres. Is there a better price to be had alse where?
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found the weights of 18s with rf vs 17s with rf on the faq section and its 20.4kg for 18 and 20.9kg for 17s.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't think you will get them for much less than that. I got one wheel for £180.00 incl VAT recently but that was discounted by 15% by the dealers.

If you are looking at the polished R105's, they don't survive winters very well. They are, as with any polished wheel, very susceptible to stone chips. You get one in the winter, the salt gets under that lacquer and they go all milky. If you don't kerb them you can get them replaced under warranty.

I have resorted to buying a spare wheel, so that I can get the worse one refurbished when needed. So far they are about 3 years old and all have been refurbished once, at £70 a time. One of the wheels that was refurbished 16 months ago needs doing again, thanks to a stone chip.

IMO They look really good but I'm biased obviously. If your happy to accept a certain amount of grief with them, then good but otherwise I would stay clear.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I moved from 17" R108 and runflats to R105 with Michelin Pilot Sport 205/40/18 and what a huge difference!
I supplied tyres and my dealer fitted the lot. They said it needed the lock limited and KDS alignment so agreed and the KDS makes a huge amount of difference!

£746 is probably about right, depends if you can get any discount from your dealer?

I've had the polished R105's for the last 9 months and so far not had any corroding, saying that I do wash/dry twice a week and polish every 4 weeks and it is garaged over night...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts