MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had 100K service: part of this included thermostat housing replacement. New thermostat now raises operating temperature to 220 F (105 c) from the original factory setting of 180-190 (85 c). Would appreciate any comments on why this increase in temperature was created, and where in the U.S. a 85 c thermostat can be obtained. Thank you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not sure about US but here in the UK I think typical operating temps run between ~105-108 celsius.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
i thought the old thermostat were 109c fully open and the revised housing was 105c, maybe in the states they increased it to help emissions laws in that country, ironically the thermostat housing is piloted by the ecu this controls when it opens so a ecu update might have been done at same time as service, the prince engines live on a knife edge with temps as they get older it gets harder to maintain it ie things wear, engine oil is tested to 100c but mini runs hotter, always said they need better cooling on the oil ie proper cooler keeps oil more stable

·
Registered
726 Posts
i thought the old thermostat were 109c fully open and the revised housing was 105c, maybe in the states they increased it to help emissions laws in that country, ironically the thermostat housing is piloted by the ecu this controls when it opens so a ecu update might have been done at same time as service, the prince engines live on a knife edge with temps as they get older it gets harder to maintain it ie things wear, engine oil is tested to 100c but mini runs hotter, always said they need better cooling on the oil ie proper cooler keeps oil more stable
Not sure mike1967 you know more than me, as my orginal from 2009 I don't know. But had a replacement about ~5 years ago and that ones about ~105 celsius.

The ones on the oil cooler have 2 different option, one open at ~80 celsius and the other ~90 celsuis.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
oil cooler ???? the update thermostat housing only came about this year as so many were failing with cracks and plastic breaking down from the heat etc.. trouble is it all seems like car maker make changes for problems that dont come to light until the car is years down the road,, my argument would be yes finally they realise the problem but how about all the owners who have been shafted by these issues with big repair bills etc,

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yeah on the oil cooler I took your advice and did some research for highly modified MINI and purchased an oil cooler kit, and that has a mocal thermostat included (not sure if it's the 80 c or 90 c) before it opens up and let the oil through.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
i see thought you were thinking the crap cooler on the standard engine had been changed on new ones or something, only fear i would have with a valve that control the oil temps by restriction of flow would be how ie must have a bypass on it to keep oil flowing all time i guess, all coolers i have used and fitted are just that free flow as oil temps are better low than high,, would always in back of my mind not trust anything that could stop flow of oil with out warning etc as would be to late by time its knocking it nuts off

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
another method is dry sump it remote oil tank and scavenge pump in modified sump, and oil cooler inline the benefits are can run as much oil as the tank will manage ie more oil can be temperature controlled a lot better also the main reason is can run engine very low point of gravity ie the lower the heaviest part of car is ie the engine block better handling and no risk of destroying the sump if lowered, also avoids oil all moving from side to side when being hammered
below link good reading

1 - 9 of 9 Posts