MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi appreciate if someone can provide confirmation/validation on what appear to be two recent and seemingly different oil leaks that I'm seeing per pics when facing the R56 Cooper auto at 90k:

No error codes.
Replaced the solenoid for an aftermarket one a few months back.

Leak 1: Right hand driver side I can dark oil below the vacuum pump. I suspect this is the vacuum pump O ring. Not sure whether I should change the whole pump or just the O ring. Brake seems spongy

Leak 2: Left hand passenger side I can see light oil below the solenoid, so I suspect it's not related to what I'm seeing on the right vacuum pump side above. Slightly annoyed if it is the solenoid valve given it's recent replacement but could be coming from elsewhere in that area.

Appreciate if anyone can advise as trawling the net they seem very common, just a pain to diagnose the source of the leak. Thanks!

R56Spark

Attachments

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Hi appreciate if someone can provide confirmation/validation on what appear to be two recent and seemingly different oil leaks that I'm seeing per pics when facing the R56 Cooper auto at 90k:

No error codes.
Replaced the solenoid for an aftermarket one a few months back.

Leak 1: Right hand driver side I can dark oil below the vacuum pump. I suspect this is the vacuum pump O ring. Not sure whether I should change the whole pump or just the O ring. Brake seems spongy

Leak 2: Left hand passenger side I can see light oil below the solenoid, so I suspect it's not related to what I'm seeing on the right vacuum pump side above. Slightly annoyed if it is the solenoid valve given it's recent replacement but could be coming from elsewhere in that area.

Appreciate if anyone can advise as trawling the net they seem very common, just a pain to diagnose the source of the leak. Thanks!

R56Spark
i tend to go by if it leaves oil on floor after parking it up for the night then its needs fixing, if no oil patches on floor would not worry about it, all engine breath a tad and push a little out ,prob find its taken a number of years to get like it if no oil blobs on floor. vac pumps leak the 0 rings on solenoid do same, could remove and coat with some sealer like well seal

·
Registered
436 Posts
Reading your post regarding the leaks

The vac pump oil ring goes brittle after years of heat and like mine it seeped.
Mini dont sell the seal separately buy can be found here. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153420602383
The brakes being spongy would more likely have air in them so would be good practice to renew and bleed the system

The other oil leak could be from a the new solenoid. Just check you haven't nicked the o ring when fitting it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts