MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 boost demons

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  knt 
#1 ·
Hello all
so riddle me this ....my R56 makes late boost up to 10 psi...not coming in much till 4k rpm.
This is no great surprise as these cars are plagued w/ boost and other issue's....Here's the riddle.
Boost is being measured mechanically at the MAP via an adapter.., however a vacuum gauge spliced in at the turbo actuator for wastegate claims zero, ziltch nadda, no vacuum....no the hoses don't leak they hold vacuum between the vac pump and the "boost solenoid" for hrs after shut down...you tell me.....please!

#12 ·
Isn't 10PSI normal for standard car without remap?

The turbo tends to run out of boost anything pass 4k rmp.

Have you checked the diverter valve?
Update ..the other night I get constant misfire cyl 2..I swapped the coils (1 -2) in the dark but was'nt thinking good as I still had misfire,,,took it to a new shop today ...they found bad coil suggested replace all. OK....out with the near new Bremi's in with the Bosch units and thats pretty much it . Car runs better than ever, smooth idle , no misfire but better than that The boost at the Mech gauge often hits 13-14 psi (overboost?)....at2200rpm and showing vacuum (some) I slowly but assertively push gas to floor and boost was about 14 in before 5000 rpm.....NEVER SEEEN THIS BEFORE. thanks shop guy!

#3 ·
Yeah I checked it....my point is it should not make ANY boost with zero vacuum at the actuator.....last night I got a cyl 2 misfire code and thats how it runs on three cyls. I'm done, I cant afford to put any more money into it....think I'll take it to the crusher just to watch it get demolished ....I hate that phucking car, its cost me 30,0000 in repairs alone in 2.5 yrs.

#6 ·
It's the world of mini cooper. For example a cheap thermostat housing not genuine; is just as good a product. All the products are good. But one has to buy a duplicate product when a product no longer works.
In that instance one can either reason with it that it was because the part was bad and buy a genuine mini cooper part
or they can just buy a other name brand part.
In the end they have to buy another part. I was fortunate in servicing of this Mini Cooper so much so that people that joined the service are probably angry at me for learning such a lesson considering I never joined the service.
I never got to the end of my rope. And I had to spend alot of money to do it.
1.money for tools
2.money for parts
3.money for tows
A) From the mis information in the service manual it cost me 3500 hundred right off the bat after I got all the parts.
B.)Then it cost another 3500 When catastrophic failure occurs it takes the stupidest things out with it, That and between trying to have a mechanic do his job and start at a place I did not finish at. It's not the mechanics fault for that.

Getting in deep with a modern car cost a lot of money. But you become enlightened to the situation.
1. It's not bad parts being shipped to you.
2. it's not bad mechanics not clarifying the problem

When you had your car I don't know if you noticed it's the insurrection of Porsche. There are not that many Porsche on the road where I live. My car is about the only thing going. And it's fast enough to get into trouble. But meek enough
That not even cops want to pull them over, because it looks embarrassing.

If you have spent that much money certainly you have become Enlightened about the situation of Mini Cooper.
Did you have any successes with it.
Each success is not written in any of the books on the hard core mechanical functions of the car.
Nobody is gonna pat you on the back for fixing it as you are the owner of it; much less get paid for it.
Nobody really likes the Mini Coopers after having a lot of problems with them.
Once someone figures out how to service the car they are the only one that really appreciates it.
Only the person that fixes it really knows how to drive it.
Once someone entirely fixes it they they understand it is like all things that can be fixed; that their is a abstract angle of approach to push the DME computer back in a corner and push the information about how to fix it(service manual) back in a corner. Then waking the car back up after repairing it, And the computer and the mis information along with the rest of the service information co insides.
The mis information is in fact that. Reason why I think is they belted out a service manual within the first few thousand miles of the cars consumer use. They used eccentric tools to do that.

My point in the end is yes it is a car like anything else. As cutting edge as the mini cooper computer, vanos units,and twin scroll turbo is.
It's pretty dependent on the action of combustion. And that's the part of the snake you grab that at. right at the connecting rod. Metaphorically speaking O course.
Right at the pistons.

Money dump you have been a good contributor sense I have been on here. You have had your moments. But today it seems your really upset. I don't know if you read about my travels with it. But it was number 4 piston rings when I measured them at 115 thousand that were out .50 thousands. Mini mania said on the 1.6 to gap them at .25 thousandth
I gaped mine at .30 thousandth. I don't know why number 4 does did that. But I tore the engine apart and measured the gap on number four like five time to make sure. I looked at the exhaust manifold and can clearly see how number 4 can get jammed up with exhaust flow due to it's design.
But I can't live within that issue. I can only fix right whats wrong and follow the service procedures that I made up myself while repairing the car engine. Procedures that have to do with the parts I saw that got wear and there locations. Example is not ever wal nut blasting it again. Pulling the cylinder head at 30 thousand and cleaning it out. New valve stem seals and cleaning the tops of the pistons and edges of the valve tops(like de burring them in a sense). area's that are critical. Maybe even replacing the exhaust valves at 30 thousand if they char on them is not removable.
Whats another 300 hundred dollars in the big picture. It's probably about 1500 in hard parts every 30 thousand and owner does the labor servicing it.
I have re usable arp bolts.
Heck it could be worse it could be like a Lamborghini and have to service it every 3 to 5 thousand miles with hard core parts. Or like a Motorcycle where it the engine is wasted through at 15 thousand.
The rebate on a mini cooper is in the suspension and the brakes. but that money needs to get transferred into the engine.
Heck in the end I am just hanging on by a thread for all I have put into the mini cooper. Someone said these cars will only get 180 thousand before they are completely wasted through anyway. Your problem could be a loose engine sleeve or something. Who am I to make a diagnosis in the end.

#7 ·
It's the world of mini cooper. For example a cheap thermostat housing not genuine; is just as good a product. All the products are good. But one has to buy a duplicate product when a product no longer works.
In that instance one can either reason with it that it was because the part was bad and buy a genuine mini cooper part
or they can just buy a other name brand part.
In the end they have to buy another part. I was fortunate in servicing of this Mini Cooper so much so that people that joined the service are probably angry at me for learning such a lesson considering I never joined the service.
I never got to the end of my rope. And I had to spend alot of money to do it.
1.money for tools
2.money for parts
3.money for tows
A) From the mis information in the service manual it cost me 3500 hundred right off the bat after I got all the parts.
B.)Then it cost another 3500 When catastrophic failure occurs it takes the stupidest things out with it, That and between trying to have a mechanic do his job and start at a place I did not finish at. It's not the mechanics fault for that.

Getting in deep with a modern car cost a lot of money. But you become enlightened to the situation.
1. It's not bad parts being shipped to you.
2. it's not bad mechanics not clarifying the problem

When you had your car I don't know if you noticed it's the insurrection of Porsche. There are not that many Porsche on the road where I live. My car is about the only thing going. And it's fast enough to get into trouble. But meek enough
That not even cops want to pull them over, because it looks embarrassing.

If you have spent that much money certainly you have become Enlightened about the situation of Mini Cooper.
Did you have any successes with it.
Each success is not written in any of the books on the hard core mechanical functions of the car.
Nobody is gonna pat you on the back for fixing it as you are the owner of it; much less get paid for it.
Nobody really likes the Mini Coopers after having a lot of problems with them.
Once someone figures out how to service the car they are the only one that really appreciates it.
Only the person that fixes it really knows how to drive it.
Once someone entirely fixes it they they understand it is like all things that can be fixed; that their is a abstract angle of approach to push the DME computer back in a corner and push the information about how to fix it(service manual) back in a corner. Then waking the car back up after repairing it, And the computer and the mis information along with the rest of the service information co insides.
The mis information is in fact that. Reason why I think is they belted out a service manual within the first few thousand miles of the cars consumer use. They used eccentric tools to do that.

My point in the end is yes it is a car like anything else. As cutting edge as the mini cooper computer, vanos units,and twin scroll turbo is.
It's pretty dependent on the action of combustion. And that's the part of the snake you grab that at. right at the connecting rod. Metaphorically speaking O course.
Right at the pistons.

Money dump you have been a good contributor sense I have been on here. You have had your moments. But today it seems your really upset. I don't know if you read about my travels with it. But it was number 4 piston rings when I measured them at 115 thousand that were out .50 thousands. Mini mania said on the 1.6 to gap them at .25 thousandth
I gaped mine at .30 thousandth. I don't know why number 4 does did that. But I tore the engine apart and measured the gap on number four like five time to make sure. I looked at the exhaust manifold and can clearly see how number 4 can get jammed up with exhaust flow due to it's design.
But I can't live within that issue. I can only fix right whats wrong and follow the service procedures that I made up myself while repairing the car engine. Procedures that have to do with the parts I saw that got wear and there locations. Example is not ever wal nut blasting it again. Pulling the cylinder head at 30 thousand and cleaning it out. New valve stem seals and cleaning the tops of the pistons and edges of the valve tops(like de burring them in a sense). area's that are critical. Maybe even replacing the exhaust valves at 30 thousand if they char on them is not removable.
Whats another 300 hundred dollars in the big picture. It's probably about 1500 in hard parts every 30 thousand and owner does the labor servicing it.
I have re usable arp bolts.
Heck it could be worse it could be like a Lamborghini and have to service it every 3 to 5 thousand miles with hard core parts. Or like a Motorcycle where it the engine is wasted through at 15 thousand.
The rebate on a mini cooper is in the suspension and the brakes. but that money needs to get transferred into the engine.
Heck in the end I am just hanging on by a thread for all I have put into the mini cooper. Someone said these cars will only get 180 thousand before they are completely wasted through anyway. Your problem could be a loose engine sleeve or something. Who am I to make a diagnosis in the end.
you are a complete twat, give it a rest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.