MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a 2007 Mini cooper D, the car brakes fine under normal conditions however, when I want to perform an emergency stop, brake hard, the car doesn't brake hard enough, it takes a longer time to stop than I would expect. No abs comes on and I'm unable to push the brake pedal harder, it won't go down further, like all the way or anything. It's difficult to describe but it feels like: "oh, I'm stopping somewhat urgently ", rather than:"oh sh!t, stop!". Any ideas? Discs look fine and pads have plenty left

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just had a similar problem, 58 plate d, turned out there was a leak in the servo and it wasn't giving the amount of assistance it should. Simple way to test it is see if you can pull and hold a vacuum on the servo.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You need something like this
At the bulkhead behind where the fuel filter is you need to find the vacuum line undo the coupling attach the hand pump and draw a vacuum. I had to test all of the pipework to eventually find the faulty part. There is a non return valve and sensor at the servo which you have to test too.
If you are not happy working on brakes get someone who knows what they are doing to check it, no disrespect but brakes are about the most important system on a car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I took your advice and had my mechanic have a quick look, he noticed that at some time the front abs sensors had not worked correctly so he reset the fault codes to see if that may be it, he also found that behind the plastic cover in front of the bulkhead there was some electrical tape covering a few inches of the vacuum hose and he believes that may be where the issue lies, a botched previous repair

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, I took your advice and had my mechanic have a quick look, he noticed that at some time the front abs sensors had not worked correctly so he reset the fault codes to see if that may be it, he also found that behind the plastic cover in front of the bulkhead there was some electrical tape covering a few inches of the vacuum hose and he believes that may be where the issue lies, a botched previous repair
It's scary what some people do. Pretty sure electrical tape isn't designed to hold a vacuum, if that's it it's an easy fix

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The electrical tape was not the source, car had good vacuum too but the brake fluid was green and black, having bled the brakes and having some nice clean fluid in the reservoir and lines, I am pleased to report everything works fine again. Just goes to show the importance of changing your brake fluid every so often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts