MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
36+K US miles since taking delivery April 2007; with the onset of cooler weather here in the US Midwest my 2007 S has developed a severe cold-start problem.

2 weeks ago dealer replaced 2 ignition coils, to no good effect. It's back at the dealer today & I ALMOST couldn't get it to run this morning at all... took 17 tries before it would run by itself long enough for me to reverse out of my driveway.

Runs awful when it runs, sounds like it's firing on maybe one or two cylinders tops, then it slowly dies. Yellow engine outline lamp is lit when it's warmed up enough to finally be drive-able.

Once it's warmed up it runs OK. Mileage isn't too bad (31+ by the OBC) & I've burned PB Gold 99% of the fuel it's burned since taking delivery.

Anyone have similar issues with theirs?:puzzled:

·
Fanatically Enthiusiastic
1,176 Posts
There was an issue with the '07's last January 08, but it was -50C with the windchill and it was an issue with ice holding the throttle body closed at start up. The car would idle erratically until the heat from the engine had melted the ice, and the moisture evaporated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...

Sounds suspiciously like what I'm dealing with, though mine's bone stock.

There's another thread over at NAM (link) that describes a problem with the hydraulic (oil pressure) timing chain tensioner not getting up to speed under cold-start conditions.

North American Motoring - View Single Post - Cold Start Issues Database

I'll be posting this to the dealer's tech guys this morning, while awaiting their call as to what they might be learning on their own.
:(

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
i'm not all that far from you ... and had something happen a couple of months ago that might relate to this ... when I got my gas from BP, where I always used to, my engine warning lights came on amber. didn't notice any problem, but the dealer told me to bring it in immediately.

they tested the gas (mine's an 06 MCS) first thing, and said they'd noticed some problems with BP gas in the region ... often exceeding 30% ethanol. told me to run Shell low grade or mid grade for a while. In my case, the excess ethanol was setting off the knock sensors. My gas was reading 20% ethanol.

Apparently one of the side effects of high amounts of ethanol (legal limit in regular fuel is 10%) is that it won't start in cold weather without several cranks.

You might ask them to test the ethanol level of the gas in your tank next time you bring it in .. I doubt it's the only problem, but it could be contributing factor.

Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Interesting...

... comment on the ethanol content. Probably cheaper than gasoline, so they blend in more than is legal & let the customers sort it out?

Dealer tech said yesterday they were going to be testing the gas in the tank today so they may very well be onto this problem already.

Your's being an '06, you have the supercharged engine or the newer turbo model? I'm not clear on just when the transition took place with regard to US import models. I had an '07 on order earlier that came in built wrong & I turned it down. That one had to have been built right at the end of '06 or early '07, one of the very first off the new line.

What dealership did you work with on this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts