MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that every time i drive my R56 the coolant level in the reservoir drops to empty. I noticed it when i got the overheating warning on the dash. Since then i have to top off the reservoir every time i take it out.

I don't see any leaks on the ground or around the reservoir. Any thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry zuke after posting in the other noticed it was a different year mini. But oil looks clear. Just did a change about 500 miles ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm confused so good luck in finding your problem
SeanC, don't be confused! In a duplicate post he added to an old thread, I suggested a fairly urgent leakdown test to see if anything was going where it shouldn't. Obviously the head gasket could be suspect. In the other post RunL0st has now raised the existence of misfire codes on some cylinders. Let's all continue with this thread and we'll abandon the old one.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Radiator cap ? Thermostat causing overheating, air in the system, leaking heater matrix (check the carpet inside), on a cold start, have someone watch the exhaust for excessive white smoke.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Water in the oil is the route I'm thinking @Zuke hence why I asked him to check his oil. I haven't spotted his other posts yet but have gotta agree, 1 topic per problem so that everything is kept together in one place if you want to stand a chance of having it resolved. There's no point painting a picture on 2 different canvasses!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had same issue on my R53 that was driving me crazy. But after I bought new coolant tank cap at the dealership ($8) there is no more mysteriously missing coolant fluid. Before that I spent around $100 to try to locate leak with 3 different mechanics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
JohnnyBlack
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing