MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mini R56 (2011) 1.6 petrol manual, has a very loud noise from the drivers side of car. Sounds like a dry leaf stuck in a fan blower. Not always evident. Makes more noise in low gear with engine under load driving. Thought it was the water pump / tensioner, but have replaced these and its still persistent Noise. I suspect its the thrust release bearing as there is no noise at idle out of gear clutch released. When driving under load noise varies with torque / engine rpm. Disappears when throw the clutch.
so before spend time and money changing thrust bearing and possibly flywheel (thankfully these are not dual mass I hear), anything else that is common That might cause this issue?.

cheers

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
potentially yes, while you're on the clutch you're also off the revs, so ask yourself if it can actually be engine speed related perhaps?

timing chain noise is potentially described by your analogy if something you hear from in the cabin, chain lash can cause some interesting noise or with broken guides contributing,

get a clip posted up of decent length just with you holding or moving the rpm around the range mentioned and see if we can determine more maybe....

Reactions: Flac757

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a strange rattling noise that is intermittent at idle and on a cold start up more ‘slap’ noise than would expect. Thanks will try to get a good audio clip and upload.

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
don't know what that link is to but I don't like it, put it on youtube or some other platform that doesn't involve downloading anything or that starts scavenging files off a pc!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The noise only appeared after we had the powersteering and rack changed, which meant that the subframe was dropped. Is it possible that there is something linked to the change of the steering rack? I underestand that its an electric steering rack not the older power steering pump (hydraulic) version.
Getting frustrated trying to work out what this is.
I dont think its a clutch release bearing, but the noise is linked to clutch movement.

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts

The noise only appeared after we had the powersteering and rack changed, which meant that the subframe was dropped. Is it possible that there is something linked to the change of the steering rack? I underestand that its an electric steering rack not the older power steering pump (hydraulic) version.
Getting frustrated trying to work out what this is.
I dont think its a clutch release bearing, but the noise is linked to clutch movement.

Help appreciated.
Under the car with the car properly supported have someone operate the clutch and see if the linkage rubs or at any point touches something. The engine doesn't need to be running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts