MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Driver
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I've got an r56 cooper and after some nightmarish work I've managed to convert to a Cooper S exhaust straight down the middle. All though I'm still getting round some little problems (horrible smell, and tips sticking out, I would probably say im there!!!!) But what I really need is the cat-back i think its called, the bit from the manifold to the backbox? I need a cooper S one because the Bore is bigger and so for a perfect fit i need to get my hands on one! Was wondering if anyone knew how much they go for??
Thanks very much, all help appreciated!!!
Jamie

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
I persume you mean the cooper S back box... they come up on ebay all the time.. £50-£100 quid is the going rate. If you could take some pics the next time your fitting the exhaust. I have often though about fitting the S exhaust onto my R56 Cooper :)

·
Driver
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive already got the backbox fitted. thats all in nicely with the cooper s bumper!! it looks neat but its a hell of a lot of work!! Il try get some pictures up for you, but the bit i want is the bit before that that connects to that from the cat.

cheers, Jamie

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
Ive already got the backbox fitted. thats all in nicely with the cooper s bumper!! it looks neat but its a hell of a lot of work!! Il try get some pictures up for you, but the bit i want is the bit before that that connects to that from the cat.

cheers, Jamie
I would be interested to here what sort of work is involved, I'm guessing then there is more to it than just fitting the new brackets!!!

You mentioned a horrible smell and the pipes sticking further out can you advise. I dont want to start doing this if it isnt fairly straight forward :)

·
Driver
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it wasn't an easy process!! As for the smell that was only temporary, turned out to be just the new box warming up.
As for the fitting itself I don't think it was straight forward! Looking back at it now i do figure it would have probably been easier to buy the cooper s brackets, but i just used the standard ones instead.
This is what I did:
-Removed the standard exhaust cutting it off on the straight before it starts to bend.
-Removed Standard bumper
-Removed spare tyre holder (mine came without the tyre)
-Remove the furthest exhaust bracket from the centre and bolt it where the tyre holder was
-Cut away part of the heat sink allowing the exhaust to go straight instead of bend.

Now the complicated part!!
When putting the exhaust on to the car, initially it will be extremely difficult to make the brackets fit in order to make the exhaust straight, just hit the brackets inwards with a mallet or whatever way required in order to make it sit straight. What you will find later is that once the S bumper is applied the tips stick out horribly and that it is the brackets that do not allow it to be pushed in (which is why i probably recommend the S brackets!!)
At first i thought i could live with it, but eventually it got the better of me!! On looking at the exhaust i figured i could just remove the tips and shorten the pipes on which they sit thus making it fit, HOWEVER of course it was not this simple, on removing the tips i discovered they had special ends which fastened the tips to the exhaust. I took the car down to the garage and they dealt with this for me. I think they cut of these ends and a bit of the pipes, and then reheated the pipes and widened them allowing for this end piece to be welded on again, but i am not one hundred percent sure.

From here on i decided that i would just let them do the work!! However i did stay and watch and this is what they did.
-fitted the exhaust back into the brackets
-Placed two slits in the end of the Cooper S pipe which connects with the Cooper pipe. Because the cooper s pipe is bigger they heated the cooper s pipe, and whilst it was hot clamped it using two clamps allowing the metal to bend and thus create a sort of seal around the connection.
-They then used some sort of filler to seal the connection fully and then put the cooper S bumper on.
AND VOILA!! There you have it! I know that is really badly explained but i hope it gives you some insight as to what is required, if you have any more questions i will try and answer them for you, but my advice..........give it to a professional garage!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts